Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Returning to some normalcy

I had surgery 2 weeks ago yesterday. Today is the long awaited day---returning to work. I am anxious in a sense. I wonder what will happen if I get bored. I used to eat when I got bored. Now is the true test of the mental side of this lifestyle. It will also test the emotional side. I think I am up for the task. God will be there to support me!

Speaking of support, my mom and dad have been jewels through all this. We live together and they have been there every step of the way. Since I sat down with them on February 14, 2008 and told them what I wanted to do, they have backed me 110%. When I went on the Optifast (semi-liquid) diet, they basically did the same. They bought protein drinks, protein bars and frozen entrees and followed the same eating plan as I. They did this as a way to support me. They got rid of the cookies, cakes, etc. There are very few things in the house to tempt me. Both have lost weight right along with me.

I am finding it utterly challenging to find things to “eat”; considering I can only drink at this point. I have discovered the protein drinks I liked before surgery I don’t care for now. Actually I’m not sure I care for any protein drink, but I honestly feel like that is because I am tired of drinking and I am ready to move on to something I can sink my teeth into. Well, actually means it will have to be pureed (baby food consistency) it will have to be something I can sink my gums into. All the same, I am ready for some eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, etc. I did discover a drink that I am going to try. Special K protein water pink lemonade. It is a way to get 5g of protein and have a refreshing taste without taking in any sugar, 6g of carbs and few calories. Wow a different taste!! Most juices have no grams of protein, so they are just a way to get a different taste from water alone. Besides they have calories, so they are limited in amount I should drink.

I am still taking the Lovenox shot for the blood thinner. Mom gives it to me every day. We got to the place we would forget which side we used each day. You are supposed to alter the side per shot. So I have marked it on a calendar. Everything is do-able if you just find a way.

I am now sleeping in my own bed all night. I am using a few less pillows so there is more room in the bed. It feels good to be able to get this portion of my life back to normal. If it hadn’t been for the slight set back with the sore muscles I would have been in my bed the whole time. I never had a problem with sleeping in my own bed 1st night back from surgery until I had the muscle problem. I certainly have not found a friend in the sporometer, although I still use it as Dr Hachem requests. I just use it ¼ less than I was.

Today I got up and beat the heat. I walked all they way around the block. Progress is being made in stamina. I am feeling really good overall. I am ready to move on to the next phase—pureed food. I went to Dillons yesterday and bought yogurt, pudding, cream of potato soup, baby oatmeal, cottage cheese, tuna, canned ham and canned chicken. I bought some non fat dry milk so I can add it to some mashed potatoes to give them protein power. I got some light Mayo to add to the tuna, ham and chicken. Of course I have been craving eggs all along. Hope that doesn’t mean I’m pregnant or something. I suppose if it does then I will be rich and famous because it would fall under the category of a miracle or I will be in the Genesis Book of records under—freak-ish events.

I saw a brownie commercial the other day. Brownies were always a favorite of mine. They didn’t even tempt me. I am wondering if my sense of smell has improved. I was sitting in church Sunday and I could smell garlic. I wonder who had garlic for breakfast. Also Sunday mom put a roast in the crock pot. I was sitting in the living room and she came in. I asked if she had lifted the lid to the crock pot and she said she had. I said I thought so I could smell it. This could be a neat improvement or it could be an utter hex depending on the setting!

Well, as I said, today is returning to work day, so I better get myself around for the day. Packing my supper will be easy---liquids! I just have to make sure they don’t weigh over 15 pounds! Two more days and I see Dr Hachem and eggs are in my future!

Keep cool and out of the 100+ degree heat. Until next time! DeAnn :0)

No comments: