Friday, August 8, 2008

2nd week follow up

Yesterday was my 2nd week post-op follow-up.

I got home from the appointment and ate home made hamburger vegetable soup. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

My appointment went GREAT! All the incisions look good. Dr Hachem is happy with my progress. I go back to see him Sept 11th. I am in phase 2 of the post-op program. I get pureed/blended menu. I can have scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, pudding, tuna, chicken, fish, meat, etc. I am supposed to eat 4-6 mini meals a day. Of course a meal consists of 2-4 teaspoons of food. I still have to have protein shakes because it is impossible to get 60-70g of protein a day with the mini meals. I am now required to follow the pouch rule of no liquids 15-30 mins before meals, during meals or 1 hour after meals. It will be important I drink, drink, and drink some more between to make sure I get my 50-60oz of liquids a day requirement. My protein shakes count towards that liquid total. I feel like I am finally on the road to recovery and a new lifestyle!! I can still have all the stuff I had during the liquid phase (popsicles, fudge bars, fruit bars, jell-o, etc.).

I have had scrambled eggs, soup, and cottage cheese so far. No problems with the pouch rejecting any of it. When I had the 1st helping of real food yesterday I couldn’t believe 2-4 teaspoons would fill me up. It looked like such little food. So I took a tablespoon plus a teaspoon of the soup. I bought some smaller dishware and cutlery. I have a Donald Duck baby spoon I use. Anyway, the portion didn’t look like much in my very small bowl. So I began to eat and I found I was unable to eat all of it. After about 1 tablespoon full of soup (which was not of soup consistency, but pudding consistency) I was full. I was comfortably full. If I had eaten the other teaspoon full I would have been miserable. I found a tablespoon full of cottage cheese was sufficient, same with the eggs. A tablespoon full of eggs is about 1 egg. Believe me I have to change my mental perspective of food. I have to realize the small amount is enough and my eating habits will forever be changed. I used to eat a 2-3 egg omelet stuffed with meat, cheese, hashbrowns, vegetables, etc. Some day down the line I will be able to add a little more stuff to my eggs and make a small omelet type meal. I’ll let you know how that goes.

I know a friend who had this surgery in April is able to eat a happy meal hamburger and a few fries from McDonald’s. So eventually my pouch will be healed and function so a little more food can be consumed. I will be able to eat “normally” with the tool of the pouch to help me regulate the portions and food content. The surgery (pouch) isn’t a cure all, but a tool to allow me to do the work I need to do to be successful and healthy

At the point of eating at McDonald’s I think I will be eating 3 meals a day instead of 4-6. At this point it is hard to eat 4-6 meals because I don’t feel hungry. When I do think I feel a sensation of hunger, I eat. Otherwise I try to drink as much as I can. I need to be taking in 50-60 oz of fluids a day at this point. Eventually I need to work up to 64+ ozs a day. I also need 60-70 grams of protein. So the protein shakes are an important aspect. I am still trying to find protein shake mix I like. What I liked before surgery I don’t like now. It is all an experiment. It is a fun challenge though. I have to watch the clock to make sure I eat often enough and make sure I use the healthiest, most beneficial foods. In other words protein 1st! That will be my motto for the rest of my life. As the habit is formed it will be 2nd nature to think, plan and eat that way.

I also have found at this point the sweet things I used to think I had to have; I am not even tempted about. I can walk by the vending machine and look at the Ho Ho’s, Ding Dongs, cupcakes and chocolate covered donut gems (suicide donuts) and keep on walking. I pray that will continue! I did have a struggle of a small nature yesterday. One of my favorite cookies is gingersnaps. Well, there was a tray of cookies, several varieties on a tray. One of them was a BIG glistening gingersnap cookie. I looked at it and thought, “Oh man, how can that be? It is so nice looking. It is just the right shade of bronze with just the right glistening on top. Oh well, I don’t need it.” and I walked off. Maybe some day I can find a recipe that uses Splenda and other ingredients I can have to make some. If not, then I will just have to adjust.

It is great to be among the eating population again. I have 4 weeks of the pureed menu and plan to work it the best I can. I am feeling good, doing a little more activities and enjoying the ride. Next week I get to go back to water aerobics. I am looking forward to that! More activities mean more firming of the extra skin due to the weight loss. It also means a healthier me and that is why I had this surgery.

Until the next round of inspiration, I’ll keep my head high and my portions small! Healthy Living!!!

God is so big He can cover the whole world with his Love
and so small He can curl up inside your heart.

No comments: