Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Pouch is Healing

Well, I believe I can see progress in the pouch healing. I am able to eat 2 tablespoons of food at a time. It is wonderful to be able to actually eat; even if it is pureed. The taste is the same! I have enjoyed hamburger vegetable soup stock, soft boiled eggs mashed well, cottage cheese, yogurt, tuna with lite mayo, and today I’ll try browned hamburger and a cream of potato soup mixture. The hamburger was browned in a packet of Lipton onion soup. Then I took it and put homemade cream of potato soup with it and pureed. I hope it’s as good as it sounds. All the foods I eat now I put about ¼ teaspoon of non-dairy dry milk powder in them. If I use a 1/3 of a cup of it a day it gives me 8 grams of protein. So this helps boost the protein intake with all the foods I am eating and doesn’t change the taste.

I was having a hard time finding a protein mix I liked. Well, I have made some progress on that front. I found 8oz of 1% milk (can’t stand skim), 1 packet of UnJury unflavored protein powder and a packet of sugar free Moo Magic chocolate milk flavoring makes for a 28 gram protein drink. It also gives me some of the calcium I need. The UnJury I purchase off the website and the Moo Magic milk mix I get at Wal-Mart. I have found the UnJury protein shake powder for the chocolate and vanilla I can better tolerate if I put ½ a packet of Splenda in it. I have also found Atkins Advantage Milk Chocolate protein drink tolerable. I think I am finally on the road to getting my needed 60-70 grams of protein a day.

Now I am working on getting my total 64 ozs of fluids in. I get 11 from my Adkins drink and 16 from my 2 milk drinks, so that leaves 37 from other sources. I drink mostly water. Occasionally I have 8ozs of fruit juice diluted 75/25 radio. Most days I can get this in, but some days it is hard because of how often I eat and having to wait 15 minutes before and 1 hour after before I can drink. I always shoot for 64 ozs and sometimes am happy when I get to 60. I also don’t want to get so full I feel dumping symptoms. Once I can take in a little more food at a sitting and only eat 3 meals a day that will help with time to get the fluids in me.

I have also found it is important to always carry gum with me. I never realized how yucky my breath can get from the protein drinks. I discussed it with Shawna and she has found the same thing out from her husband who has had the surgery. If I can’t brush my teeth I just pop a piece of sugar free gum in and chew it and it takes care of the problem. It also keeps my mouth busy. I know they say not to chew gum because it allows air into your pouch. I have not found that it adds any more air than usual. I chew with my mouth closed so maybe that helps. I have found I burp more than I used to. I believe this is because my pouch is smaller than my old stomach so the air concentration is higher. I just try to be diplomatic about the burps and if they do escape unaware I excuse myself and explain the problem. Everyone is very understanding. They know I am not just being rude.

I have gone to the YMCA 3 days now. I had 2 days of organized water aerobics. Yesterday was a day that I went and walked and exercised in the water on my own. I had some time just floating/walking. I spent 45 minutes of exercise on my own. I do a lot of the same movements I do in the class. It sure feels good to get there and exercise. I do get a little tired because I am not up to 100% in the energy level. That will continue to improve with the protein intake.

Sometimes it gets hard and I get a fleeting moment of hopelessness. I was getting a little of this feeling when I was unable to find a protein drink I liked. I was losing some energy because of it. I hated to force myself to drink something I couldn’t stand. But I found in my hopelessness feelings I just had to push myself and find answers. That is what I did by testing and trying different ways to get my protein. I just have to believe in myself and not give up. I take one strategy at a time. One may lead to a different one that will fit my needs and tastes.

The support from the Innovative Weight Loss Solutions (IWLS) team is the best. If I have a question or need some suggestions I can call or email and they are there. Ronda, Pam, Jennifer and Terra have been a life saver at times. I trust them 110%. The entire program is a god send! Their care, overall genuine concern and enthusiasm are the backbone of the program. You know you have your own cheering section (maybe not complete with pom-poms, but you can’t have it all). I have talked to other post-ops, doctors who have patients and doctors who have researched other facilities. They have voiced a resounding opinion that the Geary Community Hospital staff, the Innovative Weight Loss Solutions team and the gastric surgery surgeons are the best! I agree whole heartedly! Thank you to Dr Hachem, his staff, the nursing staff in the hospital and IWLS team! You are the best!!

God is so big He can cover the whole world with his Love
and so small He can curl up inside your heart.

No comments: