Thursday, July 31, 2008

Week One Post - op Follow up (day 10)

Wow, July 31, 2008 - 10 days post-op! Things are going well. The small set back in the emergency room on Sunday was just that-a set back. I am up and running again. Okay, maybe not running, but we are headed in the right direction!

I had my one week follow up with Dr. Hachem. He was happy with the progress. We had a very light humorous check up. For those of you who do not know him which will be all of you but Kevin, Shawna and my parent; he comes across as a very serious person, all business no play. I found out he can laugh! Anyway, I think he is still trying to figure me out! I got him guessing what is next!!

He took out the drainage tube and released me to drive, released back to work, etc. He said I have no limitations on activity. I told him, “Darn, now I have to start cleaning the toilet again.” He let me start taking my medications in pill form instead of crushed. If you have never crushed pills, I will just clue you in and you can call this a favor—they are NASTY! I told him I had the $21,000 question. He asked who got the money. I told him I did; he had already gotten enough from me. When he said I could take the pills whole I told him he answered that $21,000 question correctly. He asked where his money was and I told him he would have to put it on my account on the account he already taken all my money.

I’m sure you are curious of the weight loss. Well, there are several ways to determine this. I will go with what I feel is fair. If I go with the weight I was June 21st when this was actually started (Optifast Diet) I have lost 30 pounds in 5 ½ weeks. If we go from the weight at time of return home from surgery (and I’m sure some of the weight I had then was IV fluids) I have lost 15 pounds in 7 days. Either way, I am lighter. The big revelation is: I have knee caps! Even when I bend my knees. No more elephant leg.

Well, tomorrow I will begin the process of creating a habit. I want to get started walking more. I know I have to take it intelligently because I have not fully recovered from my emergency room set back on Sunday, let alone surgery healing. I still have some of the soreness from Sunday and I need to allow that to heal, but in the same breath, I need to exercise to heal that soreness. So it is a matter of finding a “fine line”. I’ve been told I’m not good at that!

I’m just ready to get back in my own bed—hopefully tonight I will be able to do that without my muscles screaming. I’m ready to get back in the routine of exercise, work and fending for myself. I know I still have limitations on weight, so that will restrict me in some ways. I will just take is slow and easy. Remember the turtle won the race!

Until more news to report--this is Tortoise

No comments: