Saturday, July 26, 2008

Post-op day 5

I am post-op 5 days. It is day 3 at home. I’m tired, but healing. You ask how I know I am healing. Well, my port incisions itch. They are not stitched or stapled, but “super glued”. I don’t know how long this adhesive is supposed to stay, but it sometimes feels like my skin is ripping from it when I move. Today my drainage incision site is the bear. It is sore for some reason this evening. I had to take a dose of the Roxicet in hopes it will help me move around. My back seems tired too. In sprite of all the negatives I have just listed I still am glad I did this. I got on the scale this morning and in 2 days I have lost 5.3 lbs. It doesn’t seem like a lot of weight, but it is for 2 days time.

I need to get outside to walk. That is hard to do means I am still in a robe. Because of where my drain had to go it is tough to wear pants or shorts. I do wear underwear and a shirt under my robe, but I don’t think that is sufficient for outdoor attire. I am planning to put on a pair of shorts tomorrow means the drainage seems to be slowing and healing well.

As best I can figure they usually put the drainage site on your upper side. Means I had the complication of more fat than anticipated and a shorter bowel than usual, Dr Hachem had to put the drain closer and lower to the waist line and hip area. It is really in a very inconvenient place. It is right in the roll of fat and where a waistband would hit the top of the drainage tube. It will be fine though. Anyway this has slowed my walking a little. I still get up and walk every 20-30 minutes up and down the hall, through the kitchen and into the entry way, but probably not as far as I would if I could get outside. As I said tomorrow I will get out 1st thing up while it is still cool.

Today I took 2 naps. It just seemed like since my shower I never got back up to steam. I’m sure these days are normal after major surgery. Bed time will be a welcome hour. I think I might start out in mom’s chair. I should be up and in bed by the time she is ready to be in it.

I actually decided to get outside tonight. I put on a pair of shorts and hiked them up like old man so and so with the waistband to my chin which worked fine with the incision and the “canteen” attached to my thigh, dangling to my knee. I walked to the end of the block and back and then ½ way down the other side and back and then to the end of the block and back. I’m not sure how far that is. I will have to put on my ped-o-meter tomorrow and see. It sure felt good! There was a nice breeze and it was quiet. I would rather walk out there than in the hall.

Well, my day is winding down. I hope tomorrow will be better for the right side ache. Time heals all wounds, but you know me. Okay, maybe this will be a shock to you all, but I am very impatient.

Until next time!

No comments: