Friday, July 18, 2008

Let's get started!

Okay, here we go. I have always wanted to do this, but wasn't sure how to get started. Well, thanks to a good friend I have gotten one more step into the computer age. I hope to be able to keep some of you updated and others intrigued. Actually as I said I have been wanting to do this for some time. I know not everyone will remember, have time or care to check this space daily. For that matter I don't even know if I will have time to post every day, but I thought I would give it a try. So if you are reading this now, I appreciate your interest.

I am getting ready to embarke on a new adventure in my life. I have just 3 days left and I will be facing a new way of life. No, I'm not getting a sex change, coloring my hair or joing a monastary. I am doing something for me though. On July 21, 2008 I will check into Geary Community Hospital in Junction City, Ks for Roux-n-Y gastric bypass surgery. Am I nervous? NO! Am I anxious? YES! I have battled weight since I was a teen. I have battled it with some serious focus for years off and on. Losing weight, gaining weight, losing weight, etc. Thanks to someone who loves me greatly, Shawna, and her husband Kevin I am going to have the surgery. It will be a whole new way of eating, thinking and living. The picture is of me at my heaviest before surgery. Watch me shrink!


The health issues I have faced and still battle to this day have changed, increased and continue to mount. This surgery will help to eliminate some. I know it isn't a cure, but it is the best tool available. It won't be easy to change a 45 year old life style, but I am ready for the challenge. I have been making changes since Feb 14, 2008 when I made the decision to have surgery at all costs. I have prepared myself and truely feel I will be successful. What a way to show yourself you love yourself and on Valentine's Day to boot.

Yes, the cost will be great in several ways. I am paying for all the surgery on my own because at this time the insurance company does not pay for weight loss management in any way. The other costs are not monetary, but emotional and mental. They are positive in every way I think about it. I will give up on the emotinal (boredom, anger, lonely, etc) eating. That means I will have to rely on the mental. I will have to find other ways to fulfill those emotions and feelings. I have seen the positive influence in the spiritual sense. After much prayer God provided the finances to do this. I am mentally ready. I have not had a moment of nervousness and feel very much at peace. It has been hard changing life long habits, routines, thinking and comforts, but I have. I know I have a long way to go and it is a life long journey, not a quick fix. Once again God is there for that too. Now as I look at the physical aspect. There is so much involved in that. Not just my health which has been prominate in my life for over 25 years, but in the last few years I have had more and more problems. Almost all these problems can be contributed to my weight. Also since March I have taken on an exercise regimen. I am hoping in time it won't seem like a regimen on some days, but a release and enjoyment. I joined the YMCA and I water exercise and the gym where I bike, walk, lift weights, etc. I actually enjoy it once I am there. Like any habit it takes time and dedication.

Well, I just wanted to invite you to join my journey. We will start where I am and that is surrounded by this new journey of life I call "living healthier". Who knows where we will end up. I hope to bring you insight, laughs and maybe a few tears. So watch for the next posting. Until then I hope your life is full of beauty, hope and challenges. :0)

2 comments:

Tatsyjo said...

DeAnn, you should go into writing. I have always thought that you are a very good writer and have a real knack for expressing yourself. I am looking forward to following your progress and learning from you. You have referred to me as one of your teachers in the past. Now the tables are turned. I am looking forward to your next post. God Bless you, dear friend.

Barbara's blog said...

DeAnn. I picked up your blog from Jim's and will add it to mine. We'll be praying for your success. We've seen it work wonders in the life of one of our daughters-in-law and know it will work for you, too. I look forward to being able to keep up with you through your posts.
Barbara Leachman