Sunday, February 1, 2009

Steadfast

The word I have been contemplating this week is steadfast. The definition for steadfast is firm and unwavering in purpose, loyalty, or resolve. I have been at a steady standstill with weight the last week. I have looked at my eating and my activity. This last week I stepped up my exercising. I made it to the "Y" 5 days this week. I am hoping the "stall" is muscle instead of pound gain. My stomach is flattening out, so I think the muscles must be firming. I have been firm in my purpose to be healthier. My loyalty to exercising has become much more conscious and my resolve is to reach my goal. Resolve encompasses determination, steadfastness, tenacity, doggedness, firmness. I have developed a new routine for the water. I have focused exercises on the abs, upper arms and thighs. I have extended my workout to an hour and 15 minutes on my non-class water aerobics days (Wednesday & Friday). On Monday I have water aerobics class for an hour and then try to do some exercising on my own for 15-20 minutes. I think I have a better workout in the water than I do in the "gym". On Tuesday and Thursday I am in the "gym" working the strength training machines and the floor exercises. They also focus on the abs, upper arms and thighs. I sure feel better after the workouts. I hope I will remain firm and unwavering in my purpose and I will stay loyal to my needs and goals and my resolve will stay strong to work my program on a daily basis. It is so easy to feel overwhelmed and get the mindset of "I deserve" to take a break and that leads to getting out of the good habits I have formed. Therefore I must remain steadfast!

I am not too concerned with the weight stand still. I have anticipated it and have been surprised it didn't happen earlier. I know I have picked up some foods I would be better off not eating and I will need to eliminate them. I need to get back to salads instead of potatoes. When I eat potatoes it is a small amount (1/4 - 1/2 a cup, 1/2 a small baked, etc) but any amount is added carbs. I need to watch my snacks. I have been assessing if I am eating because the food is there versus my body telling me it needs sustenance. I fear my eating is not associated with need. I need to reassess what I take to work to eat. I wish I found a protein bar I am excited over, but I haven't. I have a couple I can tolerate. I need to keep it as a stand by in case I get hungry at work. I also need to eat when I get hungry instead of trying to hold out until a pre-decided time. That way I will be less likely to snack (AKA hold me over).

Some other challenges I am facing that fall back into the old habits are eating too fast, taking too big of bites and "unconscious eating". There are times when I am done eating and I don't remember eating it. That is what I call unconscious eating. I had an "uncomfortable episode" last week because I ate too fast and didn't chew well enough. I began to feel hot and started to sweat. I felt nauseated and overall uncomfortable. It passed in 15 minutes after sitting under a fan and sitting still. Of course this was at work. My co-workers were very sympathetic and took over any duties I needed to perform.

As you can see post-op isn't all smooth sailing. It is a challenge just like pre-op. Pre-op I tried every diet, every fad, every supplement plan, etc. Post-op I am living a healthy life plan. No more diets. It is a lifestyle that not only encompasses food, but behavior, attitude, outlook, emotions, positive choices, etc. It involves my mental, physical, emotional and spiritual realms. The whole person. A diet usually involves only the eating aspect. Post-op involves a support system if it is going to work. It is too easy to slip back into the old habits, eating the old foods, doing the old things, etc. God has certainly been the backbone of my support by placing strong encouraging people in my life. I thank those people; family, friends, co-workers, IWLS staff, church, etc.

This surgery is not a cure-all. It is a tool to work a healthy lifestyle. I must continue to assess and reassess my actions, motives, attitudes, food intake, activity, etc. Just like pre-op, I must watch what I eat, move more, stay positive, keep plugging forward, learn from the backward steps and lean toward the forward momentum. It's just easier now that I can see the rewards I have attained and the ones I have to look forward to. Count your blessings, tally your achieved goals and review your targets. Isn’t that the road to success in any area of life?

Any positive goal is worth remaining steadfast!


"Live so that you would not mind selling your pet parrot to the town gossip."
~Will Rogers~

No comments: