Sunday, February 8, 2009

Change

Change is a word that encompasses many things. You can change your clothes in order to have a different appearance. You can change your appearance in order to make a different impression. You can change your impression of someone, something or some situation. You can change your outlook to change your acceptance level, to change your reactions, to change your impression on others and so much more. I think your outlook affects the way you change.

I have heard it said, “He/she doesn’t like change.” “We like to stay in the same rut we are comfortable with.” I think most of the time this is true; more so for some than for others. I know there was a time I bucked change. It was many years ago. Fourteen to fifteen years ago I knew I needed to change jobs or lose my sanity. I was very reluctant to do such. I kept rationalizing things would change, get better, etc. They didn’t and I finally got tired of being miserable, stressed and very unhappy. So 13 years ago I changed jobs and have never been happier for the change. About 3-4 years ago I was told I needed to have weight loss surgery. I once again balked at the change and put it off. I made excuses and remained in denial until Feb of 2008. I had the surgery July 2008 and now couldn’t be happier for the decision. I feel so much better physically. I can do things I haven’t been able to do in many years. I look totally different. As my mom says, “She looks like the kid from many years ago.” She is right. Some days I don’t recognize myself.

Well, I am facing so many changes at this time. Changes in my appearance, my clothing size, my mobility, my impressions, my outlook (positive versus negative), my abilities physically, my processing mentally and emotionally, etc. Through all these changes I am reassessing my life, how I live my life and what it is going to take to challenge myself. One of these changes is in my work schedule. There was a time I would have never had thought of working anything except 2:30p-10:30p. Well, about 2 years ago work circumstances were very stressful and so I decided to change to working 10:30p-6:30a. Before I was actually able to go to that time frame I was asked to work a power shift of 6:30p-2:30a. I figured, why not if I was going to change. Well, now I am getting ready to change again. I had to rethink and reassess my life. There as so many changes right now and most are positive and have given me a renewed sense of self-confidence and pride. So I will be changing my work hours to a power shift of 10:30a-6:30p. I am really looking forward to it.

We all need to look at change in a light that will allow us to be honest with ourselves. We need to make decisions based on needs and not on fears. I know change can equal the feeling of fear or at least the anticipation of uncertainty. I hope you will take the time to assess your situation, set your focus, plan your goals including the steps to those goals and take the chance. Remember you never have to accomplish the goal in one leap. If you are struggling to do something because of limitations, take a little at a time until you build up the ability to do the activity. An example is right after surgery I was unable to walk very far much less to the end of the block. So several times a day I would walk up and down the hall, around the living room, dining room, kitchen and back down the hall. Soon I was able to walk to the end of the block. Then it increased to around the block. It didn’t take me just a week, but some time. I gained distance with time and effort. I had to push myself. Now I am pushing myself to take on new work hours. It will be a different challenge with different co-workers, with different sets of circumstances. I am excited about it. Since even before surgery I had been challenging myself to change my outlook about exercise. Since surgery I have not only changed my outlook, but my attitude. I now enjoy exercising. I have found a routine in the water and in the fitness center that challenges me and excites me. The reward of feeling better is incentive enough to continue.

Sometimes change isn’t so bad. You just have to step out and give it a try. Step up to the plate and take a swing.


You are the one person you never get away from.
~Joyce Meyer~

No comments: