Sunday, February 22, 2009

Avalanches

Behind every avalanche is a snow flake. ~Max Lucado~ "Cast of Characters"

Sometimes it seems like my progress in this new life journey appears to be an avalanche. An avalanche is defined as “to overwhelm somebody or something by arriving in large numbers or quantities”. I think of all the changes my life has taken on. I have obviously lost a large amount of weight in a short amount of time. I have lost 90 pounds in 8 months. I have lost inches in every part of my body including my feet. I have decreased one to several sizes in every article of clothing from underclothes to outer clothing. All this may feel like an avalanche. But if you pull it apart in pieces it is like one snowflake at a time. 90 pounds in 8 months equals out to about 3 pounds a week. My inches have felt like it has been decreased at a slow pace at times. I am just now able to admit I see the real difference some people have commented on for some time. The clothing size has been a steady pace of finding new clothes over the 8 months. Some clothes I thought I would never get into I am wearing comfortably now. So as the snowflakes pile one on top of the other the avalanche takes place.

I had lunch with a dear friend today. We talked about the big picture (end goal) and the steps it takes to get there. We discussed how sometimes the present may be uncomfortable, but if we can keep our eyes on the big picture and take the daily steps toward the ultimate goal, anything is bearable. Sometimes we may have to take some breaks for ourselves, but if we do that in a timely manner we will steadily make it to that ultimate goal and the reward will be worth it.

I talked with another dear friend and we talked about how sometimes you have to step back and take time to be by yourself. Yet, you still have to reach out to others. People and situations can be so frustrating at times. When you give up something that used to bring you comfort, relief and at times enjoyment, it is hard to interact like you used to. Therefore you have to find some other outlet. That is not always easy to do. It is especially hard when you are tired, frustrated and feel like the outlets are gone and slim. It will take time to work through the options, to discover other options and put good habits in cement. Once again the snowflakes have to pile one on another to create the avalanche.

Now you may be saying, DeAnn, isn’t an avalanche a bad thing? Well, we all seem to view it that way. Our point of reference has to do with a sad scene of someone at the bottom getting covered by a large amount of snow weighing a huge amount of weight. But, let’s tweak our perspective. Doesn’t the avalanche in process look beautiful? Watching the snow fall over and over itself until it reaches the bottom and creates a new pile of form. Well, in this perspective the avalanche is a beautiful creation of nature. But in order to have that beautiful form one must let the avalanche fall. In order to do that the snow flakes must fall one at a time. I guess I see it like a refinement period. Over time the skills, habits, options and differences refine to a new picture.

Now I realize this may be deep, but it really is simple. How you view something will make the outcome come out in a different way. Each time something different can be viewed from the same data. I think of my favorite book. I have read it a dozen times and each time I grasp a new enlightening from it. The book is called “Love is Like An Acorn”. It speaks of love for self, others and God. My perspective on all 3 levels has changed so much over the last 8 months. God has become so much more personal to me. I see how He has always provided for me. Many of those things, I gave myself or someone else credit. I have found new perspectives when looking at other people. People I know, people I have not necessarily liked and people I don’t know anything about. We all have opinions on everything that touches our lives. Those opinions are based on our perspective. I have found by looking at things through a Christ like eye, they look a lot different. I am not perfect by any means, although I am a perfectionist. That has gotten me into trouble in many different ways and many different times. I am working on that. This brings me to loving myself. As I change physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually I find my perspective of myself changes too. I hope I am becoming a better person. I also realize how much I need a solid support of friends. God is my foundation. My family and my friends are built on that.

So as my snow flakes fall one on another and my avalanche forms and tumbles, I pray my perspective will be to look at the beauty of the scene and enjoy the new formation. I pray my life will become what God wants it to be. He has given me the tools and I must use them to form the new me. My goals are in the forefront and the steps are clear most of the time. Yes, I get frustrated and irritated with others and myself. That is the times when I have to rely on God and my support system. So I take this moment to say thank you to each of you that have been there for me. I pray I am there for you too! Keep your eye on the goal and your movement within the steps to reach that goal. Accept the avalanche (back steps) and view the new perspective as a beautiful work of art.

Shoot for the stars so if you fall you’ll land on a cloud.

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

Beautiful thoughts. You've really gotten hold of Truth. I hope you work out the picture thing. I'm anxious to see the new You.