Sunday, March 1, 2009

Plod = Work slowly but steadily

Last week I talked about being sick and not exercising at all. Well, this week I got back in the swing of it. I have lately wished to have the same desire in exercise as I used to have for craving sweets and salty things. Well, I think after last week and no exercise I finally am there. I craved the water and the exercising so very much. I was up and ready to go on Monday at 7am.

This week I have been reading a book written by a gastric bypass patient. As I read I chuckled at some of the things being written. I remember them all too well. I remember the desire I had in the beginning of recovery. I wasn't hungry but wanted a different texture in my mouth. Something beside protein drinks/shakes. I wanted a different taste. I wanted something besides, vanilla, chocolate or strawberry. Something besides sweet; like eggs, tuna, hamburger. This week I have also been craving the same thing. I wanted something full of flavor and not blah. I wanted something easy to make and easy to take and easy to eat. I guess it is the 1st time I’ve really had any desire or “opinion” on food intake. I will have to keep tabs on this to make sure I do not overeat and eat the wrong things. I’ve been wise with my decisions so far. Maybe life is getting a little more back to “normal”. Now to readjust my prior normal to my new lifestyle normal.

As I was walking around Wal-Mart this week and at the YMCA I realized something. I looked down and realized, “I have feet!” I forgot I had them because I didn’t used to be able to see them under my belly. I had a friend over to the house and I was wearing shorts. He said, “DeAnn, I don’t think I have ever seen your knees.” I laughed and said, “Yeah, it’s been many years since my knees had an outline.” I had noticed that a couple weeks ago when I was talking to someone else. One of my other friends made mention of my hands and how they look smaller. It is things we don’t think about and just take for granted most of the time.

I guess this week has been a week of revelations. In a sense it has been a week to look at blessings. Some are very small, but they are blessings all the same. I must be grateful for even the small stuff. As the saying goes, someday I may wake up and realize the small stuff, wasn’t.

I went to the mall to look for an item. One store was on the south end of the mall and of course the other store I wanted to go to was on the north end. Well, in the past I would have gone to the south end store, gone out to my car and driven to the north end. Well, this time I walked out of the south end store, looked down to the north end and said to myself, “Just do it.” I walked to the north end store and then back. It sure felt good to know I had the ability and the desire to walk it. Once again it is the small steps towards the big goal we have to look at and appreciate.

I also started a new “movement” program. It is called Route 66. I am “driving” the famous Route 66. Every minute of movement (exercise) counts as a mile on the famous Route 66. I started in Chicago on Monday and have made it to Missouri. The ending destination is Santa Monica, CA. I have recruited a few people to “drive” the route with me. Monday (9th) I will start another program. We have gathered a team of 6 from dispatch and we are going to “Walk Across Kansas”. It is offered through the K-State extension office via my work place (City of Salina). The 6 of us are going to walk the 423 miles across Kansas. We have named ourselves “The Street Walkers”. It should be fun to encourage each other to exercise! If I remember right it encourages you to do 2 ½ hours of activity a week and you will make it across Kansas in 8 weeks. Well, that is a cinch for me. I usually exercise about 7 ½ hours a week if not more. I am adding some time on Saturdays. I found a playground routine that works the abs, upper arms and thighs. So I will walk the block to the school playground and do my routine and walk back home. I am anxious to get it started.

It seems so strange to be so excited about all this exercise stuff. It helps to make it fun like with the things I am doing now. I also am enjoying encouraging others. It takes time to get into it. Once you do and you start to feel better it encourages you to do more which in turn makes you feel better which…….well, you get the picture! I like the visual benefits too. I have noticed I look better. The down side for a person who hates to shop is needing new clothes. Just this week I realized I desperately need a new swim suit. The other day I wore a pair of pants to work and I was already at work and realized I couldn’t keep them up. I wished I had my belt. The girls at work teased me about buying me suspenders. They also made the statement I needed to get rid of the pants. I guess they must look too baggy (even if I did wear a belt). It is certainly a reality check when you are walking up the hall and realize your pants are walking in the opposite direction (down). They tell me I am just in fashion when the pockets are at your knee joints. No thank you!!!

It feels good to feel good. I don’t ever want to go back to a year ago. This week I gained 2 pounds, but I think that was because I lost so much last week due to being ill. I am back to eating normal. I will have to keep on track.

I have dedicated myself to plod along. Work slowly but steadily. Hope you will do the same!

I had my measurement done with Hope at the “Y”. This is the stats for June 2008-current.


Difference
Upper Arm 3 ½
Chest 9 ¾
Waist 12 ½
Hips 11 ½
Thigh 3 ¾
Weight 90


Blessed are those who have one hand held by God
and the other hand held by a friend.

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

Your blogs tickle me. I always get at least one laugh out of them. More than tickling my funny bone, you encourage me. I hope you figure out how to put a picture on your blog. I'd love to watch your changes.