Sunday, January 4, 2009

Grateful

This week I am going to look at 2008 and list what I am grateful for. I will separate it into 2 lists actually.

One will be in reference to my weight loss journey. I had a pre-surgery list of things I wanted to do that skinny people take for granted. Some of the things on that list I have accomplished. This list also includes some other aspects of accomplishments I have had in regards to my health.

The other list is a list just of general gratitude.



Weight Loss Grateful List

  • No acidy feeling or upper discomfort after eating since surgery
  • Getting off the C-PAP machine (10/08)
  • Exercising consistently (and actually enjoying it)
  • Only occasional back pain/little stiffness
  • Only occasional joint pain
  • Positive attitude developed since surgery
  • More positive outlook since surgery
  • Depression is less and less every day
  • Renewed sparkle in my eyes
  • Joy on my face
  • Making wise food decisions
  • Doing healthy activities
  • Eating small portions
  • Cross legs
  • Tying my shoes with the bows on the top and center
  • Walked through the turnstile square forward instead of to the side to get my belly over the top
  • Getting on the floor to play with great niece and nephew
  • Being able to sit in a booth at a restaurant instead of having to have a table
  • Walking for more than 5 minutes without being out of breath
  • Clipping my toenails without being in a million contortions
  • Driving without having to suck in my belly to turn the corner
  • Crossing my arms comfortably
  • Reaching the middle of my back to scratch an itch
  • Getting on the floor to exercise
  • Zip my winter coat
  • Walk farther distance
  • Bike farther
  • Sit in the movie theatre more comfortably
  • Loss of 80 pounds in 6 ½ months



    General Grateful List

  • Loving, giving, caring, supportive, active parents
  • Freedom to do what I want (work, play, leisure, religion, etc.)
  • Home with all the utilities
  • Means and ability of transportation (financial, safety, etc.)
  • Plenty of food for nourishment
  • Medications to keep ailments in check
  • Ability to pay for my daily needs
  • Friends who are supportive
  • Bible study group that is growing closer
  • Inspiration to grow in Christ
  • Church leaders that genuinely care about the body and their willingness to serve
  • A church family that is growing in numbers and spirit
  • Sister & brother that are loving
  • Nieces & nephew that have always been there for me
  • Healthy family and friends
  • Job I enjoy and feel is a career and not just a job
  • Ability and talent to do that job in an above average capacity
  • A boss that is understanding, supportive and caring
  • Knowledge for healthy eating
  • Energy and desire to exercise regularly
  • Attitude to be positive most of the time
  • Common sense
  • Reasoning skills
  • Giving spirit
  • Good self imagine / positive self confidence
  • Good communication skills
  • Friends and family to share all these things with
  • Support staff in my weight loss
  • Support of others in my weight goals


    (I know some of these may seem like strange items to put on a grateful list, but in my career I see a lot of different aspects of life through the eyes of citizens, co-workers and “politics”. My life outside of work is strongly tied to diet, exercise, daily obligations and a new lifestyle.)

    My goal is a closer walk with God in hopes of glorifying him. That is not always easy to do on a daily basis with honest consistency. I get my inspiration from his “angels”. They are commonly known as family and friends. I have discovered a new network of friends in my Bible study group. Each week I feel a deeper connection to them. I thank God daily for their support in my life. I pray they find the same from me. I have found a spiritual inspiration in my pastor and the leaders of my church. Today for communion at church the pastor, youth minister and the 3 church leaders served the congregation. As Jesus washed the feet of the disciples, these men served us communion. I look forward to a year of growth, challenges and blessings. All within my faith, within my new lifestyle and the new healthier journey I started in Feb 2008 with the decision of weight loss surgery. That decision has changed every aspect of my life. My wish for those in my life is for 2009 to be filled with new opportunities, interesting challenges, personal growth, sufficient knowledge and decision making skills and abundant blessings.


    "It's not who you knew.
    It's not what you did.
    It's how you live."
    ~Point of Grace~

No comments: