Sunday, January 18, 2009

Insights to Inspire

The following are some insights I have gained over the last week. I thought I would share them with you. Stop and think about what they are saying. I think they will help you take on that new goal you had your sights on for 2009.

1. Progress doesn't happen overnight. It is a process.
2. Most of the time, change does not happen overnight.
3. Give yourself permission to fail, learn from mistakes and try again.
4. Baby steps will get you to the finish line.
5. Allow it to be a process - with ups and downs - until you get to your finish line.
6. Adjust your expectations so that you give yourself the space to improve over time.

This week has been an enlightening week for me. From several people at several different times and several different places I kept hearing the same things over. “There is nothing left to hug.” “You are vanishing before my eyes.” “You look so different.” “You look so much healthier.” “Your color is so much better.” I would always gratefully say thank you. I just wasn’t seeing it though. Yea I will admit I saw I was getting smaller, but I see the change on a daily basis, so it just doesn’t appear as noticeable to me. Well, today I was walking into the Olive Garden for lunch with a very special dear friend. The sun was at my back and my shadow was in front of me. I could actually see my head and body outline was smaller than I remember it being. I gave my friend a picture of myself. She asked when it was taken. I told her the 1st of November. She said, “You have already changed. You need to have them done every month.” I laughed and told her I couldn’t afford that. So I guess she will just have to live with this particular picture. I want to go back and find a picture I have of me from 1982 that I am particularly fond of and compare it to today.

The only frustration I have at this point is the belly isn’t decreasing in proportion to my face and neck. Therefore I am having to take my own advice from the insights I put at the top of this posting. I have to be patient and realize it is a process and it will have both ups and downs, but the end result will eventually come as long as I adjust my expectations and adjust my strategy according to the progress within the process. There are so many areas of life this philosophy takes place (financially, spiritually, emotionally, physically and most certainly mentally).

I had my 6 month check up with my surgeon (Dr. Hachem). His goal for me 3 months ago was to lose 25 pounds. Well, I did!!! I did not make it to my 30 pound goal I set for myself, but I am still proud of myself. My BMI is officially out of the morbid obese category and into the Obese II category. I will continue to work on it until I can get into the overweight category. I doubt I will ever make it into anything lower than the overweight because of my height. I don’t think I will feel good at less than my target weight. We will reevaluate when I get there. I also told Dr Hachem I had decided on a reward when I get below 200 pounds. He skeptically asked what that would be. I’m sure he expected me to say something about going out to eat and splurging on whatever I might want. Well, I told him my reward is a day at the spa. I am going to have a massage, manicure, pedicure and facial; a day to pamper myself and reward myself for the hard work and concentrated effort over the last 6+ months. He told me to start looking for the appointment because it wasn’t far off with my progress. I figure about mid February. It will cost me an arm and leg, but I think I am worth it!!! I am looking at places here in Salina for a package deal. I have a couple of places that have been suggested to me. One place is where a friend who is a certified masseuse goes for her pampering!

I am working hard at the “Y”. I have started my new work schedule so I had to revamp my “workouts”. I go to my 1 hour water aerobics class followed by my 15-20 minute self initiated routine on Monday. Tuesday I go to the “gym” side and do my strength training and focus on the abs and upper arms. Wednesday I go to the pool and do a routine I have devised that works with the abs and upper arms and thighs. I have incorporated a simulation of biking, the arc elliptic machine, running, walking, sit ups and barbell resistance within the water. I find this routine very challenging and relaxing at the same time. On Thursday it is back to the “gym” for my strength training again. Friday I decide between the water and the gym according to how I feel. I am at the “Y” between 1 hour and 2 hours depending on what I am doing that day. It sure feels good to start my day off this way. I keep the “just do it” saying running through my head when I try to debate myself out of not going/not doing. I feel so much better after my workout. I use it as time for me and God. We chat a lot during this time. I have found it has also increased our time together and strengthened my reliance on Him. That in itself feels good.

My friend today gave me a set of ankle weights. I have wanted some, but not taken the time to go purchase them. I hope to use them to tone and strengthen my legs. I still take the elevator up stairs because my knees are still weak. I appreciate her investment in my health! Now if they just made some “miracle” something to take this belly away. I guess they have—exercise! All in due time.

Well, I hope this posting has given someone some encouragement and a new vision to plug on. Just remember progress is a process and not a one step leap. The baby steps get you to the goal. Set the goal, set the rewards and work on it bit by bit. Give yourself permission to fail because sometimes within that failure you learn the best lessons. If you learn, it really wasn’t a failure was it? Nope, it was an unexpected step towards the goal. Improvement only happens over time. Good luck on your journey to a greater you! I know I feel so much better because of this journey.


Chocolate is God's apology for broccoli.

No comments: