Saturday, August 29, 2009

Who Has The Wheel?

Nothing dictates our lives like our desires.
Nothing moves us like what we want.
People do what they want to do.
We need to begin to want what we need.
Instead of need what we want.

What are your heart’s desires?

Don’t get so fixated on the end result you stop working to get it.
Our heart’s desires are meant to be appreciated and worked for.
We are an instant society and we have come to expect the end result now without putting in the effort to get that result.
We do not work for the desires with our whole heart.

Are you willing to do what it takes to get what your heart desires?

Beneath the desires of our heart is the heart of our desires.

All of these thought provoking thoughts were brought on by a 2 day live telecast I attended this weekend. It was centered on the desires of our hearts and how God knows them and wants to give them to us. Yet our desires must be pure. They must be worked for. We must be committed.

You see I know my desire for a long time has been to be healthy and “thin”. Actually to be non-fat because I doubt I will ever be “thin”. I don’t know that I have ever really been thin. At least not as far back as I can remember. I suppose I can look at pictures and say at some point in my life I was thin, but my self concept has not been in that realm for over 30+ years. So by definition: “A true heart’s desire is something that is a sustained longing and is unaffected by mood or surroundings. It necessitates a time of wait and builds over time.”

I think I can safely say one of my true heart’s desires is to be non-fat.

Now back to the thinking at hand. Nothing dictates our lives like our desires. Nothing moves us like what we want. People do what they want to do. We need to begin to want what we need. Instead of need what we want. I need to be healthy and in order to be that, I must have the want to invest in the process to be healthy. I have struggled for a month now at 100 pounds lost. I have only half heartedly invested in my journey to do what I needed to do to get to my goals. I have obtained many of my goals and I have failed to set new goals. Sure I know I want to lose 20 pounds by January 2010, but have I whole heartedly invested in that goal? NO! Daily I sabotage my efforts with bad food choices and/or too much food. I need to get back on track and can’t figure out how. How do you get the motivation, the desire to work the process to attain the goals?

Well, I have discovered I can’t do it alone. So I have embarked on a new way of thinking. I must reevaluate the following: What do I want more than anything? What is beneath my desires? What motivates me more than anything?

I must figure out what I desire from life. What I desire in life. What I am willing to do to get what I desire. I have fallen into the mind set that what I desire should materialize in an instant just because I want it. I have failed to work for what I desire. To take the steps necessary to attain those desire. Well, I can’t do it alone. So I steal the chorus of a song by Carrie Underwood to try to help me refocus my desires and reenergize my motivation.

“Jesus take the wheel.Take it from my hands.Cause I can't do this on my own.I'm letting go.So give me one more chance.Save me from this road I'm on.Jesus take the wheel.”

*Some thoughts contained in this are from Beth Moore; Christian motivational speaker.



What you do everyday matters more than what you do every once in awhile.

No comments: