Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sows, Whales and Rude Awakenings

As you know, last week I started Pilates class at the YMCA. I stumbled upon the sow syndrome. I found Pilates is not an "easy go" stretching routine. I sweat like an ole sow. Well, I certainly didn't get past the sow syndrome this week. I am still sweating away, but it sure feels good. Makes me think I am working out hard. Well, this week I did not go to Pilates Wednesday night because my back kept giving out on me all day. It was due to overworking the weights on Tuesday. Talk about a rude awakening. So I left from work, bypassed the "Y" and went home to cozy up to Mr. Ben Gay. Well, Friday morning I did return to Pilates and was introduced to the beached whale world. The instructor was a different one from the other two I have had. He is a very good instructor! Anyway, means I do not have a nice flat smooth tummy, some of the exercises made me feel like a beached whale. You know how you are laying on your tummy moving about without falling over. I just felt like a whale wallowing around on the beach on a nice hot sunny day sweating my tushie off. I was certainly the poster child for the weeble that wobbles. I know it will get better with time. Until then I will have to accept there are certain moves I can not perform in perfect form. I do it at the level I can and wait for the form to progress to a recognizable level. When my stomach flattens out and I gain strength in the abdomen muscles I will be able to sit from a laying position. For now I will raise my shoulders up "high" and wait for the rest of me to slithering behind. Getting over the lump around the middle will require patience on my part. Surely at some point in my life I had a flat tummy and a nimble body. Actually I have a picture of me in a bathing suit at 3-4 years old and even then I had a protruding stomach. I know it wasn't from lack of nourishment. Back then it was called baby fat. Wonder when I will grow out of that!

My rude awakenings don’t just encompass physical pain, but emotional frustration and disappointment. I have been concerned for a good month now about my slow down with losing weight. Yes, I knew it was coming with my year mark. I knew the “honeymoon” phase was coming to an end. I knew I would have to begin to concentrate and work harder. The surgery’s work has ended and now I am a “regular” person with the same struggles of the non-surgical weight loss fighter. Only I have an added tool-my pouch! So I began to talk to Ronda about my concern. She encouraged me to keep a food log. Boy, I sure didn’t want to do that. That meant I had to face the truth of my eating habits, food quantity and food quality. Well, once I decided that was what I needed to do, Ronda encouraged me to give my food log to Jennifer (dietician) and let her see what I needed to do. I think both Ronda and I knew what I needed to do; count calories! I knew and Ronda picked up in our conversations that what I was eating was too caloric. So I gave the log to Jennifer and braced for the worst. I knew there wouldn’t be any judgment, but open honest assessment. It was determined I am taking in too many calories. So this week I am once again going to start the food log and begin measuring/weighing and counting my food/calories. I hate to think that is what I need to do, but I am determined to get back on track. I have habits to lose again and habits to restart. I guess life is just that way-start, stop, assess and readjust. I am just very appreciative I have 2 people who care enough to spot me, encourage me, make me accountable to myself and guide me in the steps I need to take. Thank you Ronda and Jennifer!

To have our best health and dessert too we need to re-think what dessert is.
Every once in awhile you have to stop and ask, “Where am I heading?”


I am still working out through water aerobics twice a week, strength weight training and cardio 2-3 times a week. I have now added the sow/whale training (Pilates) twice a week. I can’t think of anything else I can do exercise wise. I’m sure there is something, but there are only so many hours in a day. I really do enjoy my “Y” time and I am glad I have the schedule to be able to do it. I am also glad God has given me the attitude about exercise I never had before. Much of my “Y” time is also an addition to my “God” time. I look forward to going to Pilates. I’m sure as I get better at range of motion and balance, reduction in size and an increase in muscle tone I will enjoy it more. It can be tough seeing everyone else doing the moves so fully and easily and me struggling to move an inch from a laying position to a sitting position. But as I know, it will get better. Everything I have done so far has gotten better and easier. This will too! Who knows, maybe some day I will graduate to Yoga. I just don’t see a body should be in some of those contorted positions. Why would one need to see the world from that perspective?

"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself."
~Ethel Barrymore~

1 comment:

Jen said...

I have done Pilates before and know what you mean!!! It's a hard class to do. And you're right, it will get better the more you do it.

You're doing a great job, DeAnn and I know that you'll continue to learn, change and grow. Look at how far you've come already! :) Keep up the great work!