Sunday, August 16, 2009

Success Available - Inquire Within

This week I want to encourage you to think of 3 things you love to do.

Are they as easy to do now as they were before? This is regardless of if it is physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually doable.

As I progress in life I look back many times and compare my life in terms of “before” WLS and “after” WLS. Before there were so many things I couldn’t do. Before I had weight loss surgery I made a list of things I wanted to be able to do that skinny people take for granted. I have shared that list before so I won’t again, but I do constantly go back and look at it. I have accomplished almost everything on that list. I keep going back and looking at it again and again.

In our monthly support meeting this last week one gal had just had her 5th year anniversary. She said she looked back and assessed. She should be proud of her success. She had taken pictures throughout the journey. She was able to see how far she has come. I guess this is what I am doing with my skinny people list.

I was talking to another gal at the support meeting before the meeting began. She had just had surgery. I encouraged her to make a wish list and keep track of when she accomplished each thing. Down the road this will help her to remember where she has been, where she wanted to be, and where she has come. The list should always be growing. Each new goal is added and each accomplishment noted. I think everyone should do this for anything in life, not just weight loss. Unless we have a way to measure ourselves how can we see where we were, where we are headed and when we arrive?

I think of a saying I found some time ago: "Progress involves risks; you can't steal second with your foot on first." ~Fred Wilcox~ But you also can’t steal 2nd without getting in the game and having a plan. You have to know where you are going to get there. So I encourage you to make that want/wish list and make that plan. Make your flight plans and test your wings.

I read this somewhere and have paraphrased it: A daily recommitment is not to ensure that we’ll never fail, but to help us develop the mentality that every single day is a new day—a new chance to succeed. This lifestyle is not some diet we suddenly blow. It is something to which we recommit every single day, no matter how we blew it the day before. This philosophy can relate to anything you are facing at any time, any day and any place. It doesn’t have to just be about weight loss, but about life in general. Find your wings and fly!

Success is available----just inquire within!

"Yesterday is experience.
Tomorrow is hope.
Today is getting from one to the other as best we can."

~John M. Henry~

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

I think I live by the seat of my pants. I really don't have a plan except to write. I see what I need to do and hope I'll get it done eventually. I usually do but it's still by the seat of my pants. Life just seems to get in the way. I do know that when I make a list and check it off, I get more done. Helps keep my mind organized. I think I'll go do that now.