Sunday, December 14, 2008

Each Individual Makes A Whole

This week I went to my WLS support meeting. As I drove to the meeting (40 minutes away) I thought about how far I have come in this journey of 5 ½ months. I was so proud of myself having lost 75 pounds in that time, reached numerous goals; one being getting off the C-PAP machine, exercising, no back pain/little stiffness, no joint pain, etc. As I drove I thanked God for the financial ability to have the surgery, the blessings the surgery has afforded and the positive attitude that has developed since surgery. My depression is less and less every day. I have been told over and over that I have a renewed sparkle in my eyes and joy on my face. I sent picture Christmas cards this year and numerous people have commented on this. Well, as I sat in the support meeting and listened to others who have been post-op for shorter periods than I and have lost more than I, I began to get discouraged and started thinking I needed to work harder, eat less, eat wiser, etc. I got a little bummed out. Then as the meeting went on and I began talking to other people and got some ideas of different things, I realized I am doing the best I can. I am making wise decisions, doing healthy activities and eating small portions. As I drove home I rethought my mood, my flooding thoughts during the meeting and remembered, “Everyone loses at a different rate. Everyone has a different amount to lose which makes them lose at a different rate.” I lightly chastised myself for chastising myself during the meeting. I felt much better about the situation and myself. I am back on track and more determined to work the lifestyle and stop comparing myself to others. This is the reason I go to meetings. It helps keep me in line. It gives me more ideas or new ideas or ideas of different ways to do something.

I want to thank **IWLS staff (Ronda, Pam and Jennifer) for the “Christmas gift” of the sample foods and the print outs of the recipes. It gives me some variety in my meals. The food was delicious. As always, you did a wonderful job of supporting us!

As the title of this update says—“each individual makes a whole”. In some way we can inspire someone else with our experiences, insights, positive or negative attitude (including ourselves) and our whole being. How we think, how we treat others and how we perceive ourselves and others will determine the long term success of our journey.

This week I lost 3 more pounds, so I feel I am right on track. I am now ½ way to my own personal weight goal. I went to the doctor for my monthly B-12 shot. I always weigh and the visits are a month between, give or take a day. I lost 12 pounds between November and December. I don’t know that I will hit my goal for my appointment at Dr. Hachem’s, but I’m sure I will meet his goal. I haven’t given up on mine though. I will keep plugging along and hope you will too. Remember, “any loss is a gain”. Also remember, “each individual makes a whole” -- whether it is a person, a goal or a success.


"With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts."
~Eleanor Roosevelt~

**IWLS (Innovative Weight Loss Solutions) www.experiencetheexcellence.com Under Services and scroll to Surgical Weight Loss

No comments: