Sunday, November 30, 2008

Staying on track - requires discipline

This week was a challenge for me. I made it through my 12 days of vacation healthy. I woke up Monday for my 1st day back to work with a cold. I went to my hour water aerobics class and then my 30 minutes of self water exercising. I was worn out. On Tuesday I was so drained from the cold I didn’t go to the “Y”. The rest of the week went down hill. By Wednesday my voice was pretty rough. By Thursday the officers were able to hear about every 3rd word. They had to read between the words to figure out what I was saying. Friday was a little better, but I still sounded rough. I never had a sore throat, but sounded terrible. Anyway, this process of “deteriorating” health made it impossible to exercise. I’m ready to get back in the swing of it all on Monday.

I gained a pound this week. I’m not real sure how. I know it was Thanksgiving, but I didn’t have one. I worked Thursday and Friday from 10:30a-10:30p. I didn’t have a shred of turkey. I did have homemade chicken and noodles. I guess this next week I need to write down what I eat so I can track what might be causing the gain. This is the 2nd time I have gained since surgery. I know 1 pound isn’t much, but it is still a gain. I haven’t ever felt like I overate, but obviously I have been eating something(s) I shouldn’t be or at least not as much of it. Now that I am starting to feel hunger I must stay focused and continue to be intense in my goal seeking. If I am going to make my goal by my next appointment with Dr. Hachem I will need to loose almost 4 pounds a week. I will give it my best! I can’t live by the “what ifs” so I will just make the best choices. There is no perfect choice, but there are best choices and I will leave the rest to God.

Staying on track with weight loss and health goals requires discipline.
~Melissa McCreey~

I read a letter written by a potential WLS patient who lives with a post-op patient of 5 years. He said some have found the post-surgery restrictions of the WLS lifestyle to be frustrating. "Why did I do all this if I still have to diet and watch everything I eat?" is the way the question is often put. His answer came to him in a bagel ad slogan. "Eating smart isn't dieting."

This is a motto I need to focus on. I have tried every diet and weight loss trick imaginable. I have to focus on eating healthy and allow the rest to fall in place. If I focus on it being a diet I will only get frustrated. I hated that lifestyle and got discouraged by that lifestyle. So I need to step back, take a deep breath and use the tools this surgery provided me. I guess I need to just relax in the process yet be diligent in the process.

“Commitment and accountability are two great secrets of WLS success.”

"The difference between 'not enough' and 'more than enough' is your attitude,"
~Bishop T.D. Jakes~
We can get so wrapped up in trying to get what we don't have that we don't take time to appreciate what we do have.
~Valerie Burton~

No comments: