Saturday, November 8, 2008

2 Dates

June 1, 2000. October 31, 2008. Two dates that play in my head. The 1st is the day I started using a C-Pap. It was devastating to realize I would probably have to use a sleep breathing machine for the rest of my life. I had suspected I had sleep apnea for some time. I told the doctor I thought I had it. He asked me why I thought that. I told him because I was waking up by the sound of the gravel on the side of the road at 70 MPH; waking up to the sound of the horn from the car behind me because I fell asleep at the stop light; waking up several times in the middle of the night gasping for air and my heart racing. He said he thought I should have a sleep test done. Well, on June 1, 2000 I had my 1st night with my new bed companion. It was an affair that was not filled with love, but with resignation that it was a way of life for me. Since that night I have not gone but 3 nights without my C-Pap machine. The 1st two nights were last year during the ice storm and we were without electricity. The 3rd time was the night of my gastric by-pass surgery. So in 8+ years I’ve only gone 3 nights without it, until October 31st, 2008.

Yes the 2nd date in my head is the night I stopped using my C-Pap machine. I decided it was time to test the waters (or in this case, the air). I was very leery, hesitant and filled with a lot of fear. What if I wasn’t ready and I stopped breathing again. I thought, “Well, I’ve been there before and did okay. God will be with me and pull me through whatever happens.” So I crawled in bed, laid down, and waited. I actually fell asleep fairly quickly. I woke up a few times during the night, but not gasping. As the week went on I slept longer through the night. I found I was sleeping just fine. So I have not used my C-Pap since. Today, (8th) I cleaned my C-Pap equipment for the last time. I packed it up and stored it away. Now I don’t have the crease over my nose or the indentions in my forehead from the C-Pap mask. All this courtesy of weight loss!

I guess you could say there are a few “down” sides. I no longer know when the electricity goes out. See, with the C-Pap if the electricity goes out, the C-Pap stops and you have no forced air. Means you sleep with your mouth shut, it is impossible to breathe. I used to know exactly when the electricity went off in the night because you wake up gasping for air. I have a back up battery for my alarm clock so I don’t have to worry about sleeping through the electricity outage. I was also used to a constant hum of noise. Now I have to adjust to the silence. I’ve handled that perfectly. The machine always gave a dim ray of light. It would have been brighter, but I put paper over the buttons to block out as much as I could. I prefer total darkness in the room when I sleep. I had to adjust to the dim light the C-Pap machine emitted. It didn’t take but one night to adjust back!

Sleep Apnea - one co-morbidity from my list crossed off!

I have pretty much eliminated my back pain as well. I still have some stiffness and pain occasionally. It used to be all the time, but since the weight loss it is almost unnoted. I seriously believe this is due to the weight loss. My back has already been damaged because of the weight so I don’t expect it never to hurt again. It doesn’t stop me from doing what I want anymore. I also am able to get down on the floor with relative ease. B.S. (before surgery) I basically wasn’t able to get down on the floor at all. Today I got on the floor and unplugged my C-Pap and lingered around to untangle cords, re-plug in appliances and get back up with no difficulty. Another co-morbidity knocked down.

I can exercise, walk and take the steps without becoming instantly breathless. I used to not be able to take the steps because the weight made it very difficult on my joints and of course on my breathing. Exercising is without explanation much easier! As my friend Laura said last month, “I must say you move much easier.” Another set of co-morbidities eliminated.

Thank you God for Innovative Weight Loss Solutions. Through Dr. Hachem’s talent for performing gastric bypass Roux-en-Y surgery, IWLS staff’s support and a steady walk towards a healthier lifestyle I have lost 63 pounds since June 21st. Yes, this week I lost 3 more pounds. I am down 2 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes.

My niece stopped by today and said I am getting smaller every time she sees me. It sure felt good. I am trying to be very conscious of what I eat. I am watching my portions closely. I am trying to make good food choices with proteins first. I continue to exercise and enjoy it. I am 29 pounds away from my goal for January 22, 2009. That would be just under 3 pounds a week. I want to be less than 200 pounds by my next appointment with Dr. Hachem. With dedication, focus and God’s blessing, I will make it!

I think the secret to a happy life is a selective memory.
Remember what you're most grateful for and quickly forget what you're not.
~"Grace" by Richard Paul Evans~

No comments: