Sunday, November 2, 2008

Mind Over Matter

Many believe weight loss is a mind over matter issue. “Just do it”! Well……

The “head struggle” still remains an issue for me. I want to eat healthy, but I find food at this point is not appealing to me. When I do think there is something I want to eat, it never tastes as good as I anticipated. The other day I decided I would splurge and have a toasted peanut butter and sugar free jelly sandwich. Something I always enjoyed. Well, it didn’t taste as good as I remember. So now I need to rethink my wants. Is the “dreaded” carbs of the bread worth it? Usually not. I guess I need to just stick to the protein stance. Instead of the bread, just eat some rolled up meats. Thanks to my friend who understands this process, she replanted the knowledge of eating meats as a “snack” when I need something. Because I don’t get hungry I toil with the dilemma of “do I want to eat because of emotional issues or boredom or do I want to eat because I need the nutrients?” Protein first! Surgery has provided, almost too well, the tool to handle the physical aspect of eating and now I must master the taming of the emotional and boredom aspects. That my friend is a tough one!

I knew going in to this the mental and emotional issues would be a big obstacle. I’ve done very well with both so far. As my pouch gets healthier and my variety of food increases I have found my choices must be more closely monitored. Having a high tolerance to sugar is another obstacle. I want to eat more dessert type foods (sugar free Jell-o, sugar free pudding, sugar free cookies, cakes, etc.) This is something I will have to reel in and eliminate. I need to get back to the basics.

I am 3 months post-opt and have lost 60 pounds. I do not want to lose the momentum I have had or the success I have obtained. So it is time to sit down, reassess, get back to the basics, look at the ultimate goal (healthier) and pat myself on the back for the strides I have made so far. Work is very stressful right now and it has added to the distraction of my primary goal. I know I need to get focused and stop taking things for granted. I know my body has the ability to function without the non-essentials. I know I have the ability to get my mind focused in the right direction. This is a life long quest and it has to be sought day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. Each situation has to be weighed and actions have to be determined. I have to make myself accountable for my decisions and the actions those decisions lead to. I am a “working” success in progress. I must accept where I am now and work towards where I want to be in time. The journey is not finished.

Everybody stumbles.
It's what you do then that makes or breaks your life.

No comments: