Sunday, October 26, 2008

Steps to Commitment

Thursday was my 3 month post-opt doctor’s appointment in Junction City. It has been 6 weeks since my last appointment. Everything went well. From the time the nurse took me into the office until I walked out was 15 minutes. Dr Hachem wanted me to lose 15-20 pounds in the 6 weeks. I weighed myself at home as I walked out the door and then I weighed at the doctor’s office. My scale at home weighs .1 less than the doctor’s office. That has always been the case. It is good to know it is so accurate. Now when I go to the doctor I don’t have to fret about not being where I should be weight wise. I did lose 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks. My BMI decreased by 9. I have lost 58 lbs since June 21st and 43 of that has been since surgery July 21st. He was very happy with my weight and BMI progress. He was very happy with my exercise progress. I have increased my time on the bike, treadmill and ARC by 5 minutes this week. I biked 7.5 miles in 30 minutes. I walked 1.50 miles in 30 minutes and I went ¾ mile in 30 minutes on the ARC trainer.

He said he wants me to weigh 29 pounds less in 3 months when I see him again. I personally want to weigh 35 pounds less. Looks like I have a goal set for myself and exercise, food choices, stress level and sleeping time will be the catalyst. I would love to lose 35 and surprise him. I think it is do-able. I have 13 weeks. I am really happy about the BMI decrease! I have lost 38.5% of my excess weight. Once I get the other 62% I will reassess my goal. I will see if I feel like I need to lose more. I know the standard norm for my height is less than I think I should be, but we will see! I am a 1/3 of the way there! And in only 3 months. I know I have to grab onto the momentum. The optimal time is 7-10 months after surgery and up to 12-18 months; maybe 24 months. I would love to get to goal by 12 months, but I won’t place myself in such a rigid goal. I’m trying to learn to be a little flexible. Anyone who knows me well knows that is a feat in itself!

I am feeling good about it all. I have my new goal set and am excited to get started working towards it. As I was leaving, Dr. Hachem said, “Take it easy.” I turned around and “punched” him on the arm and said, “I can’t. I have weight to lose and exercising to do!” He grinned.

Losing weight requires a commitment to a new lifestyle. Actually not just a new lifestyle but also a reexamination of priorities. What do I value most? As I get farther out in my post op and I get more comfortable with my pouch and I am allowed via the doctor and my body to eat more variety of foods, I find I have to reexamine my priorities. I have to stay on top of the want to "try just a bite" of something I don't need (bread, sweets, crackers, potatoes, sauces, etc.) I have mentioned before that I believe I have a high tolerance for sugars. I also believe I will have a high tolerance and ability to digest breads. Therefore I need to stay on top of my priorities. I need to keep foremost in my brain and my thoughts that if I don't need it, don't eat it. One bite that turns into a "successful tolerance" may very well be the downfall of my success.

The success will balance on the use of my tools. Some of those tools include proper nutrition, adequate exercising, and focused determination and behavior changes. As I read in an article--practice, practice, practice! I have to practice the right behavior through consistent exercising, consistent healthy eating, consistent positive thinking, and consistent positive decisions just to mention a few. Much like a little child learns to tie his shoes or make brushing his teeth a daily habit; he has to practice the act to be successful in the task. I didn't learn to tie my shoe on the first try. I'm not going to make the right choices on the first attempt sometimes. Keeping a positive attitude and keeping my goals in sight allows me to make the right decisions. I also need to remember that being too focused can lead to failure as well. It takes a nice balance between being relaxed in this new lifestyle and being on top of the needs of my body.

I found in the last couple of weeks, and I spoke of it in the last week’s blog, that I don’t have the desire to eat (no hunger pains). I also found due to some stress my stomach was “nauseated”. Not from food, but from the stress. I wanted to just eat some saltine crackers or cheese peanut butter crackers. But by reexamining my priorities when I felt that way, I did not eat them. I said to myself, “DeAnn, you want to go to the vending machine and get some crackers, but your body does not need them. Your body needs the protein and nutrient you have in the food you brought for supper.” So I ate what I brought and passed on the desire for the crackers. In the past this would have not been the outcome.

Decision: First I made a decision about the importance of this surgery and a new lifestyle. I made a decision to change. I had to decide I was going to change. It can't be just a hope or wish or fantasy. It was a decision that I had to change. Then, I made a list of goals. I made a list of steps to reach those goals. As I reach each goal I set new goals. I don't want to ever feel like I've reached the end of my journey. Even if that goal is maintaining, I must stay committed for a life time.

Am I preoccupied with my weight? It takes some concentration at times. It has to be foremost in my mind in order to stay on top. I know as time passes so will my preoccupation with perfection. Being a perfectionist is my nature. I will have to find a balance over time. I can let down my anticipation, but not my dedication.

I got some great advice from Jennifer, the dietician at IWLS*. At this stage in the process I have to focus on eating for health and not for enjoyment. Means my appetite is almost nil; if I focus on eating for health then when my appetite returns I will be able to enjoy food within the parameters of my new healthy habits. Also if I am focusing on listening to my pouch I will learn to listen to the natural cues for hunger and fullness. As I said, great advise! Thanks Jennifer!

I read this somewhere: Good health is a gift you have chosen for yourself and you deserve it.

Go out this week and remember, you deserve the best, so grab that gift of good health through examining and reexamining your priorities, listening to your body, setting those goals and venturing down the path of working towards them. Give yourself a pat on the back for the small steps because they lead to the big leaps!

DeAnn :0)


Hold a true friend with both hands.
~African proverb~

*IWLS = Innovative Weight Loss Solutions (www.innovativeweightlosssolutions.com). This will take you to the Geary Community Hospital Website. Click on Services and scroll down to Surgical Weight Loss.

No comments: