Sunday, October 19, 2008

Success ----- Attitude

This has been a really tough week for me. Actually the last 2 weeks have been difficult. It just seems like I am out of sync some how. I haven’t been hungry and I don’t care to eat. When I do eat it isn’t satisfying. So I find something else to eat, which basically is grazing. I want to get my protein, but not with a drink. I have found Atkins Carmel CafĂ© and milk chocolate is tolerable for me. I don’t mind the taste. I don’t know if it is psychological or if I just don’t like protein drinks. I still try to drink one a day because it is an easy way to get my protein in. As I said the last 2 weeks have been tough. I haven’t been able to exercise most days because they are too busy. Maybe that is why I haven’t had the right attitude. Means I’m not hungry and nothing is satisfying I don’t want to eat. It is easier not to. Therefore it becomes a vicious cycle. I guess you might say this is the 1st real bump in the road for me. I am 3 months post-op so maybe this is normal. I am still losing weight. My clothes are getting bigger, but not necessarily in the area I want to lose the most. Frustrations at work may also be playing a part in the attitude I have taken on the last 2 weeks.

This week every time I ate I thought, “Boy that was boring.” There was no pizzazz in it. It didn’t have the flavor I had hoped for. It didn’t satisfy the way I thought it would. I guess I need to fix some new dishes. I’ll have to get my cookbooks out and see what I can do. It is just tough to cook when you eat so little at a time. I have found I eat probably at least 2 times more at the evening meal than I do the noon meal. That seems strange means I usually don’t eat breakfast so it is twice as long between the evening meal and the noon meal than it is between the noon meal and the evening meal. I wonder why I am able to eat more in the evening. Maybe I will need to ask Jennifer the dietician at IWLS.

I have a 3 month checkup on Oct 23rd. I hope my progress is good. Dr. Hachem wanted me to loose 15-20 pounds in the 6 weeks. At this point it looks like I have lost 11 pounds and I have 3 days to go. I wonder if I can convince him I have added muscle therefore the weight total is short the 15-20 pounds. I feel great! I have more energy than I have had in years. People used to ask me how I felt and I would say, “Like an 80 year old.” Now I tell them I feel like I am 46.

I didn’t reach my goal at the “Y” this week. Of course I only made it to water aerobics once and the gym once. So I will try for my goal next week. It is another busy week. I won’t be able to go Monday because of 4 hours of training Monday morning and work in the afternoon. Friday I start with a meeting at 7am and go until about noon with appointments. I know sleep is important to weight loss and I sometimes feel like it gets put on the back burner in order to exercise. I hope things slow down soon!

I fear I am not getting enough protein. I keep waiting for my hair to begin falling out. I guess I need to get back on the horse and start counting with dedication to make sure I am taking in enough protein. I also know I am not drinking 64ozs of water a day. It’s tough to drink when you aren’t thirsty. It is tough to get in the 64ozs when you have so many restrictions; no drinking 15 mins before meals, during meals or an hour after meals. I understand the rules. I agree I must follow them. It is by following them that I am struggling with the 64oz goal. I get busy and forget to drink just like I forget to eat. Also since surgery I can not guzzle the water. Before surgery I was drinking over 100 ozs a day, but I was able to guzzle 20 ozs at a time. I have got to get back on track.

That is the key to success you know -- try and try again!

I bought some yogurt this weekend. I figure means I don’t like to eat breakfast I can have 8ozs of yogurt while I am looking at email before I go to the “Y”. The yogurt will give me 6-12g of protein and some dairy. It won’t fill me up like cereal or eggs will. I hate to eat and then go workout. When I drink a protein shake I have to go to the bathroom before I am really ready to get out of the water or get finished in the gym. So I will try this for this week and see if it will help with the total protein I need. I am finding most days I am only eating 2 meals a day so this might help to fill in the 3rd meal. I just don’t seem to be a “day eater”.

So far since June 21st I have lost 57 pounds. 42 of that is since surgery July 21st (3 months).

The direct link to success is attitude. I think after the last 2 weeks I need a new attitude adjustment. So I will look at this week as a new start. Just like an old worn out battery needs a jump start, so do I. So here I go!! Goals to pursue and accomplishments to attain. I’ll set my sights on God and ask for his strength to keep me focused!

Have a productive week!

DeAnn :0)

"Few choices are either absolutely perfect or completely flawed.”
~Jan Silvious~

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

Keep going, DeAnn. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. You're doing great working in your new routines with your heavy work schedule. And don't forget how important sleep is.