Sunday, January 17, 2010

I Am A Success

I had my 18 month check-up this week in Junction City with my surgeon, Dr. Hachem. It was a really good appointment. My BMI went down a point. When I started this journey I had a BMI of 52.8 (Morbidly Obese). I am now at 35 (Severely Obese). I am at the lowest notch at that place. The next level down is Obese (30-34.9). So I am making progress. I lost 7 pounds in 6 months according to his scales.  I guess that is 1 pound a month.  I'm not sure what I really expect at this point.  I know my goal from my last appointment (July 2009) was 10 pounds, so I didn't make it, but he was satisfied.    My blood pressure was better than it ever was when I took medication for it.  So being off medication for 7 months says a lot.  It was 120/82 today.

He said I am a success.  I have lost 65% of my excess weight within the 1st 2 years and statistically that is a success!   That made me feel good.  He spoke on the success aspect for some time.  He asked about my exercising and what I did, which is cardio and strength training.  He was happy with that.  He said now I have my exercise down I needed to focus back on my food.  He wants me to take in less than 1200 calories a day.  He is concerned about my portion sizes.  He said he remembers my operation and he made my pouch small.  He knew my determination before surgery, my life track record for weight and knew I would need the small pouch to be successful.  He said he also knew with my determination and pre-surgery knowledge I knew what it would take to be successful.  He spoke of the types of foods I eat and the need to make good choices.  He wants me to start counting my calories because he is sure I am taking in more than 1200.  He didn't give me a number other than below 1200.  Guess what, he mentioned a log.  I thought I was over the measuring, counting, etc when I had surgery. I guess in the back of my mind I knew it would never be past. Overall I felt he was very happy with me, but concerned for the long haul if I don't get my choices and amounts in check.  As you know, I am concerned too.  I'm sure he remembers during surgery finding more fat than he anticipated. 

I asked him what he thought my ultimate weight should be.  He said by my height it should be 134, but he did not think that would be wise.  He thought I would not look or feel healthy that light. I agree.  He surprised me by saying the ultimate weight for me would be 170.  I said I was shooting for 140.  He said I would probably not make it there.  He said I would need to think about surgery in the next 6 months.  He said I am carrying 15-20 pounds in the middle and a body lift would take care of that.  Well, unless thousands of dollars fall out of the sky I doubt that will happen.  He said the excess skin in the middle is what is keeping me from making my goal.  So I guess I need to readjust my goal.  For right now I will look at 170 as the next long term goal and then we will re-goal.  I might be able to make 17 pounds in a year. I know I will have to accept less if I don't make it, but that is something to deal with January 2011. All I know at this point is I have the ability, the tools and the determination. I am already a success, so this is just the icing on the protein bar (no cake for me!!).

He said by my 6 months check-up (July) he wants me below 180 or don't come because he will be mad.  I told him if I canceled he would know I didn't make it below 180.  We laughed.  That is only 7 more pounds.  I lost 7 pounds in 6 months without being totally dedicated, so I ought to be able to make 7 pounds by July.  Once I am "Back on Track" I WILL do it!

Overall I felt good about my visit with Dr. Hachem.  There was a different feel to this visit.  I felt there was a true concern for my progress.  I felt he was happy with me, but concerned for the long haul. His voice, choice of words, eye contact, etc. were just so much more supportive.  I felt like he was behind me and wished for that success.  He already sees me as a success, but wants me to get the full benefit for my life time.  So do I! I didn't do this surgery to look good. I did it to be healthy and I am there. I don't want to lose any ground. I need to build on what I have accomplished and forge forward.

You know last year I had no problem walking away from what I shouldn't eat.  This holiday season was a struggle for me.  He talked about how this is the time when it becomes harder.  He is right!  I guess I got comfortable in my success and thought it would just keep on without me fully participating.  As Ronda has said, I need to step back and get back to the basics of eating.  So the plan is to get back on track, get back to the basics, count calories, watch portion sizes and make the best food choices I can—always! 

I am a success—thank you God!


 

"The secret to staying young is to live honestly,

eat slowly, and lie about your age."

     ~Lucille Ball~

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

Life can be a struggle, especially when it concerns food. I'm praying for you to continue your success.