Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Next Step

I went to a convention this weekend that was very challenging to me. I think someone clued in the speakers and singers I was on the way. They patterned their topics and presentations specifically to my frame of mind. Actually I am not that self-centered. I know the conference wasn’t specifically for me. So this thought tells me there are many people that are in the same place as I am. I do believe God made sure I was there though. It was a very challenging weekend as well as a very inspiring one.

One thing I picked up from the weekend is the need to take the next step instead of trying to take the whole trip at one time. My great loving friend said it best when she said to take it one pound at a time. Yes I have to have an ultimate goal, but I can’t obtain that goal all at once, in a week or even in a month. I have to obtain that goal one step at a time. They have to be small baby steps. I have to take the 1st step before I take the 2nd. It is only then can I take the 3rd then the 4th—ONE step at a time. No leaps. I have a lifetime to live this life. I don’t have to try and do it all at once. I don’t have to do it in a year or two years or three years. I can only do it one day, one step at a time.

I have to push the limits and face the excuses. I use so many excuses and forget to search for the solutions. I can only obtain the solution by working the steps to that solution. I was reminded it is all in the attitude. Anything can look good or anything can look bad. The perspective of the beholder is what makes it. So I have taken on a new perspective and attitude towards this journey. It is a life time deal. I knew that going into surgery and I think I have lost that perspective. I have to make the lifestyle I want to live with. I can’t do it alone and I can’t do it in one step. I am a baby in this journey so the steps must be small. They will sometimes be unsteady and I will fall. But what does a baby do? Get back up and try it again until it is steady, smooth and 2nd nature. They don’t walk in one try, but repeated tries by learning from each step, each fall and each retry. Even once the kid learns to walk and grows up to be an adult, they still get off balance once in awhile. So it is time to get back on my feet and steady myself—one small step at a time.

On to the next step.


"The brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something." ~"The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch~

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

Step by step Jesus leads us, doesn't He?