Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Seuss-ism for Success

This post is an added one for the week. Some times you just get inspired.

This week I thought about Dr. Suess. Why? I really don't know. Some of my best thinking takes place in the bathroom, either in the shower or on the toilet. Occassionally while I am brushing my teeth, but usually in the shower. Maybe it is the hot water rolling over my head and down my body that gets the creative juices flowing. I began to think of some of the titles of Dr. Suess' books. When I was a kid I can remember a couple of popular books; "The Cat In The Hat" and "Green Eggs and Ham". They were silly books, but staples of growing up. They still are. In public libraries they are probably one of the most popular series among the juvenile sect.

So in thinking about Dr. Suess and his educational repretoire, I come up with some other titles that may be less known to the juvenile sect. The first reminds me of my neurologist’s insistence of gastric bypass surgery being the only option for me. The title: "What Was I scared Of?" That is the million dollar question. I have thought about it a lot since surgery. The thoughts I have come up with are stigma, fear, stubborness, and ego. The stigma I put on the surgery and how others would view me kept me in denial of the need to have the surgery. The sad part is most people didn't view the surgery the same way I did. The stigma I put on it was only in my mind. Fear of failure was very real. I had tried so many other "diets", "plans", "procedures", "pills", "potions", "herbs" and "quick fixes" that I knew failure was in my path more than success ever had been. Therefore fear of failure in the eyes of others and the eyes of myself. Not even to mention the frustration of that failure time and time again. Next is stubborness. I know this will be a shock to many of you (not!), but I can be stubborn; especially with myself. I blame this on the perfectionist nature I tote around daily. If it can't be perfect then play it safe. Well, safe in this matter was only making me fatter and unhealthier. If I can't be guaranteed to lose then I will not try. Although I did try over and over and over. So my stubborness was active on both fronts. I kept trying, but "knowing" I wasn't going to make it long term. Then there was ego. I was scared if I didn't succeed 100% then that meant I was a failure which has never done anything for anyone's ego. I had to get past these fears and face the truths. The main truth is I am obese and I am killing myself daily by being obese. Many health related issues, ego related issues and emotional issues are wrapped up in my obesity. Now that is the truth I had to face.

We all face the same truths within our own lives. It may not be diet or obesity. It may be if it is time to make some other type of change. So ask yourself: "what am I scared of?" Then weigh your options and face it. Decide with facts not fears. That's what I had to do and I had gastric bypass surgery because of those facts. I had to face the fears and doubts of success. Now I ask myself "What Was I Scared Of?" Maybe it was failure. Maybe it was success itself. Regardless, I'm glad I faced that fear and I am healthier for it.

The second title is "The Shape of Me and Other Stuff". You know I realized something several years ago. Round is a shape! The problem with this thought is it also gave me an excuse to stay round. Other terms I think of I have used in the past are "fluffy", "fat and happy" (was I really? I doubt it.) and several other denial quotes. It was always worth a chuckle, but it didn't lead to a very healthy life. Thank God I decided to change my shape. I knew it would be a tough go. Many people think it is the easy way out having gastric bypass surgery. I challenge them to watch a few surgeries, read the facts, talk to those of us that have had the procedure and then make a decision of how easy it is. It isn’t a cure-all. Yes it looks like we move so fast in our weight loss, but only if we are dedicated to this new lifestyle the operation offers us. Yes, you can return to your original weight if you decide to return to your original lifestyle. In regards to the “Other Stuff” I am just thankful for the will power, determination, optimism and positive attitude God has given me to continue to work this lifestyle change. We each lead our lives in different manners and we each are a different shape. It is our decisions and actions that form the lifestyle and shapes. To take a phrase from Dr. Seuss, “Hurrah for the shapes we are in.”

This leads me to the 3rd book titled: “Oh, The Places You’ll Go”. There used to be a lot of things I couldn’t do and places I wouldn’t go because of my size. Now I can get down on the floor with out fear of not getting back up without a crane and someone to operate it. I can fit through a turnstile at a concert, vendor event, etc. I am comfortable in the movie theatre seat. I can sit on a chair with both cheeks on the seat. I can cross my legs and sit with my legs together instead of spread from here to yonder. Some of you may have never had these problems, but what are some of the other challenges you have because of something you need to change in your life? Are you “stuck” in a dead end career, frustrated in a relationship, stuck in a debt spiral or any number of other situations? Is it time to take that step of faith and “go for it”? Maybe you have worked at your situation, but have become weary from the effort and little positive forward movement. Don’t give up! We each are made up of 4 parts. They are independent parts and they are also interdependent.

4 parts of people:
1. Physical-we only have 1 body – take care of it
2. Intellectual-read, learn and grow daily
3. Emotional-deal with it and move on
4. Spiritual-get a personal relationship with Jesus and watch all areas grow and strengthen

According to “Oh The Places You’ll Go” “Life is a great balancing act”; “Just never forget to be dexterous and deft” and “Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting so. . . get on your way”.

Yes, Dr Seuss was a silly little dude, but a smart cookie. Look at yourself, evaluate your situations, set the goals, take the steps to attain those goals one step at a time, rely on your support systems and revel in your success!


My Seuss Principle:
Set your goals
Evaluate you motives and dedication
Use a step process to get to the goals
Support systems are a must (God, friends, family, co-workers, activity groups, etc.)
Savor your success


You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
~David Viscott~

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

Wow! What wisdom! Dr. Seuss would be proud.
P.S.
Think about writing a book using some of his titles. It would sell like hot cakes.