Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Twist of the Lens

This week one of the ladies from my aqua-cising class had a brunch in my honor. They were celebrating me reaching my 1st big goal I set since surgery. Although I haven’t really made it yet, they figured it was close enough. I talked about giving myself a “day at the spa” when I reached less than 200 pounds. Well, one of the ladies decided the class should celebrate. They all have been very supportive of me since I told them I was having the surgery. They have asked a million questions. They have taken some of my tips and knowledge and used it in their own diets. They sent me cards and called me when I was just home from the hospital and until I made it back to class. They ask every Monday what I did for my weigh in. I weigh every Saturday morning and they know it. It is always the 1st question they ask when class begins on Monday at 8am. So this one lady decided she was going to host a brunch in my honor. She invited everyone from the class. There are 12-14 of us regulars. 10 of us showed up for the brunch. There were 11 of us in class that morning. One who did make it to class but couldn’t make it to the brunch left a card for me at this lady’s house and another that was sick called her and asked that she give me her congratulations. She made a very nice spread! She had a fruit tray with kiwi, strawberries, apples and grapes. She had carrots and celery. She made a breakfast dish that was whole wheat bread with Velveeta cheese and sliced cherry tomatoes on it and she placed it under the broiler to heat/crisp. It was very good. She made a diabetic bar that had no sugar in it. It was DELICIOUS! I got the recipe and plan to make it. She had 2 other desserts that I did not try because they were made with sugar. It was an enjoyable hour and half we spent eating and talking. All these women are old enough to be my mother, but they are so sweet and so involved in my support system. I appreciated each one of them. They make this journey fun because they spur me on and keep me honest and on track.

This week I was driving down the road running errands. I hadn’t eaten and was feeling a little hunger edging on. Before surgery (BS) I would have pulled into McDonald’s and ordered me a cheeseburger and fries. I thought about it and thought, “DeAnn, is it something you really want?” I thought, no, it really isn’t. “Well, is there something you would rather have like Quiznos, Taco Bell, Wendy’s, Spangles or Sonic?” I thought, no, not really. So I went on about my errands and waited until I got home and fixed me something healthy (protein and vegetables). When I finally stopped and thought about what I had done I had to smile. The lifestyle changes have seeped over into my thought process too! This week mom said she was making a baked potato for her and dad to go along with the meat for lunch. She asked if I wanted one also. I said, “No, I think I will just have 2 cups of salad instead.” Wow! It sure feels good to be on track and not feel deprived. You have to understand, BS, I would have jumped on the baked potato with butter and sour cream. Yes, I still have that, but not often. Healthy choices!

It has been 8 months since surgery. It doesn’t seem possible. I have been losing weight for 9 months (semi-liquid started June 21st). I had lost 11 pounds before surgery ever took place. I have lost 92 pound in the last 9 months. I decided to go through my closet and pull clothes. I wore a pair of pants Friday night that were W-A-Y too big, so I decided it was the last time for them. I realized there were about 3 pair of pants I wore to work this week that were very big on me too. So I went through everything in the closet. The way too big pants I wore were 26W (which was smaller than I wore BS). I put on a pair of pants that were 24W and they were still too big for me. So I am unsure what I actually wear that actually fit. I have given up some 3X pants and am down to 1X in some pants and 2X in others. Since the time of surgery I have reduced my pant waist size by 6”. My shirts were 4X-5X depending on the style. I am now wearing 1X-2X. Earlier in the week I wore a shirt that was button up the front. One of my co-workers asked the next day if I had worn a button up shirt. I said I did. She said she had never seen me in a button up shirt. I said, “Yea, it’s been at least 20 years since I was able to wear one and look good in it.” Some progress is being noted. I cleaned out 4 boxes of clothes that no longer fit. I have the next size down and I hope it will last me until July. I tend to wear them beyond the “fit” stage. I have to feel frustrated with them to go to the next size down.

My new goal once I make the199 pound goal is to lose 60 more pounds. I know it will be a real challenge. The weight loss has slowed down and I have actually gained 4 times since surgery. So I will need to really watch myself, my food, my exercise, etc. The first time I gained we figured it was water gain. The other 3 I am sure is because of my food choices. As I get more comfortable with myself, my eating, etc. I find I am becoming a little more lax. That is something I will need to stay on top of. I also have been eating a lot more fruit, which is good for me, but it also has a lot of sugar to it. I need to find some high protein/low calorie foods to substitute for the fruit. I have to admit the kiwi, oranges, cantaloupe, apples, bananas and strawberries have been fantastic! I have found I really love frozen grapes, pineapple and peaches. All of them I have been eating in alignment with the Walk Kansas challenge I am doing. They want me to eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day. I have been eating at least 7-8 a day; probably more snacks than I need. Therefore I must get back on top and watch myself.

Next week I start a new schedule at work and I will have to revamp my eating style and times. I want to get started on the right foot and not get into some bad habits. So this week I will be taking some time to plan my meals for next week. I know this means taking a conscious note of what I am eating, how often I am eating and why I am eating. I hope my dietician through Innovative Weight Loss Solutions will be able to help me come up with some good menus. Just some good food combination suggestions and I can tweak them for myself. I am open to trying new things. Actually this week I made black eyed peas for dad and me. I have never had them. It was actually good. I put a little too much spice in it for me, but that can be adjusted.

Mac Anderson said, Life “is like looking through the lens of a camera. At first it seems a little "fuzzy" but one small twist of the lens can make it crystal clear.” I want to get my goals back in focus and lose this weight and feel healthier. I hope your camera lens is focused on what is most important to you.


Thought: Captain Kirk, Star Ship Enterprise introduced the human race to cell phones.
AKA Star Trek Communicator Device

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

Since having a couple of weeks of allergies that knocked me for a loop, I've gotten off my exercise schedule and have eaten whatever whenever just because I didn't have the energy to do anything smart. Now that I'm feeling a little better I need to get back to focusing. Thanks for the encouragement you give me when I read your blog.