Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Staple of Life

A new hair style A new car A different house A new friend
A new job A smaller budget A different routine A new lifestyle


Change!

How do you accept change? If you are like the average human being, not well. You fight it tooth and nail. You run from it as fast as you can. You procrastinate. You stand steadfast in your resolve to never change. But, change can be a good thing. You just have to see past the comfort of your perception. Am I saying change is in the perception? As a matter of fact…yes. How you perceive your current situation and how you perceive the possible change will determine your actions and acceptance.

For most of 13 years I have worked a certain shift at work. I have worked evening hours (2:30pm-10:30pm). I changed to a variation of those hours (6:30pm-2:30am). Well after much thought I changed my hours again. In considering this change I had to take into account how it would affect my availability to exercise. At this point in my life that is 1st priority. I figured I could continue to exercise and change my hours and get everything done without being rushed (which keeps my stress level down). I decided it was time to challenge myself and do something out of my comfort zone. So I bid for the day power shift at work. What this means is I work 10:30am-6:30pm. I exercise from 7am-9am and am able to shower and get to work by 10:30am. Well, the first week of this change is completed. I love it! The day seems to go by so fast. I get off work at a good time and still have time to do things in the evening I need to get done. I go to bed at a decent time and get plenty of sleep and still get up early to go exercise. If I hadn’t been open to try this change I never would have known how it would be. I actually enjoy going to work again.

Now let’s look at another major change in my life. I bucked gastric bypass surgery for 2 years. I kept doing the same things and kept getting the same results. I continued to grow larger, unhappier and less satisfied with life. When I finally “gave in” and decided to have the surgery I was sure of what I was doing. I knew I needed to do it and had the resolve to try to be successful. That doesn’t mean the changes I would have to make didn’t leave me feeling somewhat scared, uncertain of my ability and mentally guarded about failure. The pros outweighed the cons and I was able to make an intelligent decision instead of an emotional one. I made that decision with certainty that it was the right decision.

Because of that resolve, determination and step of faith I have discovered and experienced many benefits. I can now walk up and down the steps at work with no difficulty. I can walk a distance without being winded. I can wear styles of clothes I have avoided for years. I can bend and tie my shoes without huffing. I can sit on the floor and get back up without help. I can exercise for 2 hours and enjoy it. There are so many things I can do that I was unable to do just 9 months ago. If I hadn’t been open to the changes required to be successful with gastric bypass surgery I wouldn’t have experienced all the benefits I have gained from the surgery and my hard work.

I have changed my lifestyle. I eat better and healthier. I am back to seeking the Lord as the focal point in my life. I have made new friends through church. I am more content because of all of this.

Sometimes the scariest part of change is the differences it may bring. You can’t expect to change something over night or everything at one time. It is all part of a step process. I have talked about the steps to a goal many times. I have an ultimate goal within my weight loss. In order to get to that ultimate goal I have to take steps to get there. It started with having the surgery. After the surgery it was centered on being able to walk for a distance and exercise. I didn’t just stand up and walk a mile. I had to walk a few feet, a long length, a full block, a complete section, an entire mile, etc. Before I had surgery I was able to “make it through” a walking workout tape that was a mile. This week I did the 2 mile tape with ease. I think I am ready to try the 3 mile tape. Oh, it feels wonderful!! When I started at the YMCA exercising it was a struggle to make it 3-5 minutes on some of the machines. Now I easily do 20-30 minutes. It took great effort to withstand 15 minutes of strength training. Now I exercise for 2 hours at a time. I have increased my weights. I water exercise twice as much as I did when I started. Did I do all this overnight or in a week or a month? Nope! I did it a little at a time and slowly advanced and increased and challenged myself to change. I had to change my thinking, my will power and my resolve. But the key is, I had to change; a little at a time.

We have been changing since conception. God has been working in us since we were created. Some changes we are well aware of and others are so subtle and minute that we don’t even realize it has happened. When you began to crawl and then walk and run, you didn’t consciously think “I need to do this”. It just happened because of your natural determination. Other things like hair style, activities, goals, etc. you had to consciously think about and plan. Both types are changes and both affect the full realm of life. You have to take the risk and reap the benefits. You have to weigh the outcome. Sometimes those benefits are not perceived as positive, but they still give you a useful experience.

Through change you can go far in life. No one knows your limitations until you show them. Bank on the benefits. Possess the positive and reap the rewards of a better life through hard work, goal oriented actions and challenging changes.

It was through this process and my positive perception that I have reached my 1st big little step towards my “ultimate” goal. In the next couple of weeks I will be arranging my reward. I will make my appointment for my “day at the spa”. I have reached my goal of getting below 200 pounds and I will relax and enjoy a short vacation. I will be off work for 10 days, take a trip to Oklahoma City, spend time getting a massage, facial, pedicure and manicure and complete a couple of relaxing projects. At one time in my life I never dreamed I would see myself less than 200 pounds. It took time, effort, work, determination, resolve, planned goals, acceptance of small failures, acceptance of great successes and openness to change.

YOU choose what attitude you have. I challenge you today to look differently at what you are able to do...not what you cannot do! Embrace change as a positive thing. List the pros and cons. Make the decision to change for the better. I’m certainly glad I did. I plan to keep changing as my life progresses.


"When you're up to your rear end in alligators,
it's hard to remember your purpose is draining the swamp."
~George Napper~

No comments: