Saturday, September 27, 2008

Keep the momentum going

Shopping! It is something I thoroughly HATE to do, especially when I do not know exactly what I want. I have to try on clothes because I am unsure what size I can really fit into. I have shopped on internet and shopped in stores for the past 2 weeks. I have gotten some good buys on clothes, which is a good thing considering I will only be able to wear them about 2-3 weeks. I also received clothes from a friend of mine at church. I think I am well supplied for the next size down.

I decided I really needed to work hard on toning. I noticed earlier this week while sitting here my upper arm wings are getting noticeable. I have specific exercises for them that I can sit and do. So I need to get things together and take the “equipment” to work and I can be doing them while I am sitting there working.

I have a notebook set up for my extended “workout” time in the water. I waterproofed all the pages. It is ready to go. I also set up a notebook with different exercises focusing on the abs and arms and thighs for my exercise ball, resistance bands and hand weights for here at home. This is for Saturday when I hate to go to the “Y” and when the weather gets bad and I don’t want to or can’t get out in the winter. I also have my walking videos to fall back on.

A couple of weeks ago I talked about small steps and big leaps. Well, I have been seriously setting small goals for myself for the last 2 weeks of exercising. My goal 2 weeks ago was to walk ½ a mile at the “Y”. I made that goal. This week it was to walk ¾ a mile. I made that goal on the treadmill! Next week I’ve set my sights on a mile. I also set some goals for working longer on the bike and ARC trainer. I am now up to 15 mins on the bike and 10 minutes on the ARC. Next week we will try for a few minutes longer on each. I have also increased the weight on some of the weight machines and have increased the repetitions on my floor exercises with the exercise ball. I have added some weight exercises for my arms and floor exercises for my abs. So all in all, the progress is progressing and I have seen some results.

I need to measure and take pictures. I haven’t done that since the day before surgery. I intended to do it once a month, but life got in the way. I do make sure I weigh every Saturday so I can keep track of that progress. It is a big incentive to keep going. Even when I gained the one week, it spurred me on, even knowing it was probably water retention gain and it would go away by the next week’s weigh-in.

Another spur is the clothing size. It is encouraging to see my sizes go down. In shirts I was 4x and now I am at 3x/2x. In pants I was 4x and I am now 3x and 2x depending on the material and style. Of course my bra size is down by one. All of it is encouraging! When you think I had surgery 9 weeks ago and I have seen that dramatic of a change. Also as I exercise and focus on the problem areas the sizes should decrease.

God has provided for all this resizing. He has dropped overtime at work here and there. I have been able to use that overtime money to cover most of the new clothing. He is truly a God that cares and provides.

This weekend I went to my church’s 2nd annual woman’s retreat. It was so inspiring. It centered on the thyme of because of God’s love I am worthy of feeling special. It is in that special-ness that He provides my ability to live this new lifestyle. Surgery allows me the tool to eat healthy, exercise to remain healthy, etc. God gives me the “tools” to live that healthy lifestyle to glorify him! He provides the positive outlook, the support of family and friends, the confidence to do what needs to be done and the strength in all areas (physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually) of my life to hopefully inspire others to live a new lifestyle-the lifestyle they deserve.

I have reached 50!!! This week’s weigh-in topped 50 pounds lost since June 21st, 35 of that since surgery July 21st.

I find it easier to do a lot of things I used to struggle to do. Here is a list I wrote pre-opt in May 2008. I use it as a goal setter and to measure my blessings to acknowledge. Some I have accomplished and some I am close to accomplishing. Some I have a ways to go to accomplish, but all are a portrait of where I’ve been, what I’ve done, how far I’ve come and what I still need to shoot for. I hope it will help someone with their thoughts and decisions.
-------------

I want to be able to do what skinny people take for granted.

Like…….

Bending over to tie my shoe without the knot being cocked to one side or the other.
Never having to worry about sitting in a folding chair.
Picking up loose change off the floor without having to bend my whole body in half

with my leg in the air like a golfer.
Going through a turnstile by walking straight instead of sideways standing on my

tippy-toes to get my big belly over the top.
Crossing my legs.
Riding a roller coaster without the fear of not being able to get the safety bar latched.
Sitting in a booth in a restaurant instead of a table.
Being able to look straight down and see my toes.
Walking for more than five minutes without being out of breath.
Standing without my back aching.
Having a lengthy conversation without being out of breath.
Sitting close enough to the table to be able and eat without spilling on my shirt.
Being able to reach over the stove to get something out of the cabinet without my

belly crushing the oven handle.
Reaching up without being conscious of my belly being exposed.
Being able to walk through a restaurant or meeting room without strategically

planning my route. (in order to fit between the tables and chairs)
Not having to plan my seating arrangement to make sure I will have enough room to

sit comfortably.
Sitting down and having a lap.
Clipping my toe nails without being in a million contortions.
Driving without having to suck in my belly to turn the corner.
Not having a “ledge” to rest my arms, plate, glass, papers, book, etc.
---------------

As I said this is a list I made pre-opt. Some day I will return to this thought and make a new list as I feel I have wishes and wants beyond the ones I have listed. I thank God for the tool of surgery, the support of family and the will power through a positive thought process and positive attitude as I accomplish each entry on this list – one step at a time!

All too often the difference between success and failure,
progress and regress, happiness and depression—
and, yes, balance and imbalance--is simply a matter of perspective.

~Paul Wilson~ Business executive and author

1 comment:

Barbara's blog said...

You are a hoot! Good luck on doing all those things "skinny" people do. By the way, I need those exercises for my "wings."