Saturday, July 18, 2009

Happy Girth-day!!

Girth: the distance around something thick and cylindrical such as a tree trunk or somebody's waist - I was a person of ample girth.

This week I am looking at the last year of my journey and lifestyle since surgery. Actually my weight loss count started June 20, 2008. My goals and accomplishments had been set and driven towards since March 2008. I thought I would show you my progress and share some findings and random thoughts I've had over the last year. My Girth-day is July 21, 2009. Some people call it a surg-aversary.

I read somewhere recently: T.D. Jakes was talking about the need to celebrate small victories. He encouraged people with sicknesses to acknowledge “I’m not well, but I’m better.” I think often we are waiting for our ultimate success to show up all at once. I encourage you to celebrate the small steps that take you toward your goals. If you are better than yesterday, celebrate the fact that you are better.

This is a list I made last year as I thought about having surgery. I titled it:

Things I want to be able to do that skinny people take for granted.

Like…….


*Bending over to tie my shoe with the bow on top not cocked to one side or the other.
*Never having to worry about sitting in a folding chair.
*Picking up loose change off the floor without having to bend my whole body in half with my leg in the air like a golfer.
*Going through a turnstile by walking straight instead of sideways standing on my tippy-toes to get my big belly over the top.
*Crossing my legs.
*Riding a roller coaster without the fear of not being able to get the safety bar latched.
*Sitting in a booth in a restaurant instead of a table.
*Being able to look straight down and see my toes.
*Walking for more than five minutes without being out of breath.
*Standing without my back aching.
*Having a lengthy conversation without being out of breath.
*Sitting close enough to the table to be able and eat without spilling on my shirt.
*Being able to reach over the stove to get something out of the cabinet without my belly crushing the oven handle.
*Reaching up without being conscious of my belly being exposed.
*Being able to walk through a restaurant or meeting room without strategically planning your route. (in order to fit between the tables and chairs)
*Not having to plan your seating arrangement to make sure you will have enough room to sit comfortably.
*Sitting down and having a lap.
*Clipping your toe nails without being in a million contortions.
*Driving without having to suck in your belly to turn the corner.
*Not having a “ledge” to rest your arms, plate, glass, papers, book, etc.
*Bending over and breathing at the same time.

I have accomplished all of these. One I have no idea if I have, but would bet I have is the roller coaster one. I haven't been on a roller coaster for so long I don't know that my heart can take the thrill--old age ya know! Some I want to accomplish a little more thoroughly (such as a smaller belly/larger lap area).


Next are my stats for the last year:

6/30/08 7/7/09 Difference

Arms 19 3/4 16 1/2 3 1/4

Chest 59 47 3/4 11 1/4

Waist 59 45 1/2 13 1/2

Hips 61 45 3/4 15 1/4

Thigh 27 3/4 22 1/2 5 1/4

Weight 292 192 100

Sizes:

Shirts 4x-5x (30-32W) XL-1x

Shorts 3X L

Pants (elastic Waist) 26-28 Petite 18

Pants 50" 40"

Sweats 3X L-1x

Underwear 13 9

Bra 52D 46C

Shoes 8 1/2 7 1/2

Here is my grateful list. It is comprised of my accomplishments based off my goals I set from last year:

Grateful List

*No acidy feeling or upper discomfort after eating since surgery (off Nexium 12/08)
*Getting off the C-PAP machine (10/08)
*Exercising consistently (and actually enjoying it)
*No back pain/little stiffness
*Only occasional joint pain
*Positive attitude developed since surgery
*More positive outlook since surgery
*Depression is less and less every day.
*Renewed sparkle in my eyes
*Joy on my face
*Making wise food decisions
*Doing healthy activities
*Eating small portions
*Cross legs
*Tying my shoes with the bows on the top and center.
*Walked through the turnstile square forward instead of to the side to get my belly over the top
*Getting on the floor to play with great niece and nephew
*Being able to sit in a booth at a restaurant instead of having to have a table
*Walking for more than 5 minutes without being out of breath
*Clipping my toenails without being in a million contortions
*Driving without having to suck in my belly to turn the corner
*Crossing my arms comfortably
*Reaching the middle of my back to scratch an itch
*Getting on the floor to exercise
*Zip my winter coat (and in a smaller size)
*Walk farther distance
*Bike farther
*Sit in the movie theatre more comfortably
*Getting off all but 3 medications (still on Nexium for a different reason)
*Reduce Blood Pressure medication and Depression medication (May 2009)
*Getting off Blood Pressure Medication (6/11/09)
*Lost 100 pounds (6/13/09)
*Will get off depression medication 08/2009

So as you can see, I have accomplished a lot over the last year. This journey started February 14, 2008 when I made the decision to have Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. I had my consultation with Innovative Weight Loss Solutions (IWLS), through Geary Community Hospital; Junction City, Ks on April 23, 2008. I had my consultation with Dr Hachem the same day. I have blogged my journey via file://www.deannsinsights@blogspot.com/ and file://www.obesityhelp.com/member/deekid. The two blogs are identical, but reach larger audiences. My blogspot blog is linked with the IWLS program and I am proud to salute that program and all the support from Ronda, Pam and Jennifer. They are a great caring trio. My year would not be as successful as it is if it weren't for them, their insights, suggestions and support. I also MUST thank all the other people in my life that have been my support along this journey; family, friends, co-workers, swim group, Bible study girlfriends, church members and new acquaintances. Mostly I thank whole heartedly my parents. They have been the strongest supporters and encouragers since I surprised them with my decision for surgery on the evening of February 14, 2008.

I have struggled the last month or so with losing the same pounds and somehow them finding me again. I have begun to keep a food log and will sit down with Jennifer (IWLS dietician) and see what we can tweak to get things started again. I know the surgery has done most of the work so far and I am at a place I will have to take over a more intense role. I have worked with my "trainer" Hope at the YMCA and we have focused on new circuits and specialized areas to assist me in reducing. I am recognizing my slips and downfalls in eating. Now it is a matter of addressing them, tackling them and winning the battle!

More importantly is focusing my whole being on the one that sustains me and leads me--God. My relationship with him has to be the most important and I work on that daily. Just like any relationship, time must be invested in order to maintain an active and healthy relationship. I need to focus my requests for willpower and growth to Him. I can't do it alone. This is a hard principle to remember for someone who has problems giving up control and is a perfectionist.

Now, to set goals for the next year. I haven't designed many yet. This week I plan to sit down and focus on my needs and desires in the next year. I could plan for farther down the road, but means I can only work on something one day at a time and one step at a time, I think I will keep them short term for now. Of course my long term goal is to maintain once I reach the "ultimate" goal-weight. I still want to lose 50 pounds and know it won't get done in the next 6 months, but I'm shooting for 20 of it. It's a steep goal, but I'll give it my best!!

Now, to look at the full picture. I have looked at my consult picture from April 23, 2008 and taken pictures of current day. I have kept one outfit from my "bigger" days and it is my consult clothes. They are the largest I was ever in. The comparison is hilarious, exciting, encouraging and on some level sickening. How I ever got that big and never realized it for so long is a boggle to my mind. I have given away all my clothes as I grew out of them (in a good way). The only ones I kept are these and they hang in my closet. If I ever start to gain weight I will pull them out, hang them on the wall as a reminder.

I am 100 pounds lighter, many inches smaller, more energetic, happier and healthier. So as year 2 begins, I say, "Let's saddle up and ride"!!

Because the pain of staying the same is worse than the pain of changing -- we have a choice.
~Katie Jay NAWLS.com~

No comments: