Saturday, September 4, 2010

Recovering Slowly

I did something not knowing I wasn’t supposed to do it. I guess you would call it a lesson learned. Wednesday the 25th I gave blood at the Red Cross Battle of the Badges blood drive. It is a yearly contest between the policemen and firemen of Salina. Each department attempts to get the most blood donations (votes are cast after blood is given). The one with the most votes is the yearly champion. It is a fun friendly competition between professions here in Salina and a way to give to the community through Red Cross blood donations. On Thursday after donating I left for a weekend in Tulsa. By Friday evening I was dragging. I walked 2-3 times more than usual and enjoyed the exercise it provided. By Saturday I was struggling. I got home Sunday dead tired. I have skid marks on my butt to prove it was dragging. Okay, maybe not that obvious. I got up on Monday at my usual 5:30am time to be at the YMCA to workout. I had missed it all weekend because our motel did not have a fitness center. I made it 15 minutes out of a 90 minute workout time. I came home and went to bed. I got up Tuesday and went to the “Y” and made it through 15 minutes again. I didn’t even attempt to work out the rest of the week. I took the time to sleep 2 extra hours each day and I went to bed an hour earlier than normal. The lesson I learned is a gastric bypass person is not supposed to give blood. Guess we don’t generate iron as efficiently as a non-gastric person. Hadn’t really thought about it before! I have since read some things by other gastrics and they were fine. All I know is I was not fine and my doctor does NOT recommend it. I’ve also read others that say not to donate. So to be safe I guess I won’t do that again. A week and a half later I am still dragging some. I have more energy than I had a week ago, but it is a slow recovery at this point. I will start back at the “Y” on Tuesday. Guess I will go slowly and build back up to speed. I just wanted to inform those who are fellow gastric to be careful. My doctor increased my iron supplement to try to build the iron back up. I hope to be back to “normal” soon—whatever normal is! As I look back at my progress in the last 2 years I realize the normal of a few years ago was to feel like 85-90 years old most days. Even with no energy I feel so much younger and healthier. Soon I will be back to feeling like the young 47.999+ I actually am.

I am feeling a little frustrated overall. I had to back off of the “Y” workouts for a little while. As you might recall I injured myself doing Zumba. My ligament seems to be healed and so I am ready to get back to it. The week before blood donation I was starting to get back to par and increasing my weights, reps and intensity. Now this setback. It isn’t the end of the world. I will just get back on the ball and balance it all again. God is good and God will be my support through it all. On Monday September 13th I plan to take Aqua Zumba class. I hope the water will allow me to take the pressure off the ligament and enjoy the fun activity I found in Zumba. I also plan to beef up my workout time and take a few other classes as well. Variety is the spice of life so they say. I am ready for some different spices in my life!! September 12th starts 2 new Bible studies and I am excited about both of them. Life needs to be more challenging and fulfilling. God will provide my needs! I just have to look to him!

"Forever is composed of nows ."
~Emily Dickinson~

No comments: